November 15, 2010

New Gym

A month ago I was able to get a free 30 day trial membership to a gym near my work.  I have a couple friends who utilize their facility as well as several co-workers.  My free membership was expiring this week so I decided to officially join tonight after my workout. 

Let me start by saying that I really HATE salespeople.  I often find them smarmy and not genuine.  I remember going to buy a car one time and telling my brother in advance that I wasn't going to talk to the salesperson.  It was his job to ask all of the questions and talk because I knew the salesperson would annoy me.  He did.

This particular gym has an entire staff of sales people in charge of getting new members and they are everything I dislike about salespeople.  I took a deep breath before I began this transaction but it didn't take long before it went downhill.


As we were walking to his office he looked at me and asked me when was the last time I worked out.  I gave him a blank stare and said that I didn't understand the question.  I didn't understand the question because I was wearing my bike shorts and athletic shirt and I just finished a 60 minute spinning class and 30 minutes of running and walking intervals.  I LOOKED like I just finished working out.  My hair was all wet from sweat and very messy.  My cheeks were pink from exertion and I was carrying a bag of my street clothes.  So...stupid or just unobservant?


I glossed over that question and we moved forward.  At one point he displayed the website that shows their extra fee services.  There was a listing of three classes.

1.  Team Boot Camp
2.  Team Fitness
3.  Team Weight Loss

He looked at the list and then he looked at me.  He then said that there are three options.  The first one was Boot Camp but that would probably be to hard for me.  The next is a group fitness class but he would suggest the Weight Loss class.

Um...WHAT!!!!  You know I am an easy going girl and I often let many things roll off my shoulders but this pissed me off. I know that I am overweight but I am not really used to such blatant rudeness from people in the industry to help fat people.  I sat there in shock for a minute and I told him I wasn't sure if I was interested in any of the classes and we moved on.

But the longer I thought of this incident the angrier I got.  WTF was wrong with him.  Was he just an idiot.  Is this how he talks to all of the overweight people. How can he look at me and decide that the Boot Camp class would be too hard?  He doesn't know my capabilities or my workout regime.  I am not interested in the Boot Camp class but I don't want him to tell me that I COULDN'T DO IT!  Fucker!!!!

I like the gym for their great group cycling classes and I finished my membership process but the gym is now tainted for me.

3 comments:

Abra said...

Yeah I had a moment like that when I belonged to a gym - I was working with a personal trainer and I was talking with him about my problem with my knee - we went to talk with another trainer about a certain type of knee brace - this other trainer looked at me and said - "I assume you are here for weight loss" - now don't get me wrong - that was the reason I was there - but I was so put off and insulted by this guy - made me feel very judged in a place that I needed to feel comfortable - it was lame

I hope things get better for you now that you're done dealing with the "smarmy" salesmen - great word by the way :)

Moore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Moore said...

While I do like it there, I have run into some attitude from one of the male staffers, which I find interesting. I'd expect it more from a female. In his case, I believe he finds anything that he perceives as unfit (which for him is probably 90% of the population) so unpleasant that he has trouble hiding his disdain. Remind me to point him out to you the next time we are there. By the way, I'd recommend Team Fitness for you.

RSS Subscribe