October 27, 2008

Birthday!!!!!

So another year has passed and I believe that it has affected me a bit differently this year. I am usually very nonchalant about my birthday. I am happy to get the occasional gift from a friend or family member and to go out and have a great meal. But I wasn’t feeling it this time. I had the great meal. My brother took me to The Melting Pot the weekend before my birthday and we gorged on cheese and chocolate. It was nice of him to take me to such nice place (even though I had a $25 coupon). I received a gift, a copy of Who Moved my Cheese from my roommate (Is she trying to tell me something?). So all should have been well in my world, but it wasn’t.

All of last week I had this strange compulsion to come home directly after work and to sit in my room and read the rest of the evening away, I didn’t want to do anything. I did this Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings without interruption. I was in serious need of groceries, yet I decided to eat weird things for meals just so I wouldn’t have to go out. Friday comes along and I have a horrible lunch experience with a co-worker and then I have plans to meet a friend for dinner and a play. I just didn’t want to go. I wanted to go home. I did keep my commitment but without much enthusiasm. Dinner was weird and I was bored quickly with play. I just looked at my watch the rest of the evening until it was time to go home.

Saturday was the birthday. It played out like the rest of the week. I stayed at home reading and finally dragged myself out of the house at 2:30 to get a haircut and to get groceries. I arrived home at 7pm to dinner being cooked by my roommate and a surprise piece of cheesecake for my special day. I just wanted to forget it. I have never reacted this way to a birthday before.

Sunday dawned a whole new day. I couldn’t believe the difference in my disposition. I got twice as much accomplished as I had the entire prior week. I start by doing the weeks laundry. I did a project for work that entails me making a hippy 60's bus to decorate our office for Halloween (more on this later). I meet my brother for a late lunch at Texas Roadhouse. I come home from lunch and mowed and trimmed the lawn, and then organized and cleaned the garage. I went inside and cleaned my room and the rest of the house. I was a completely different person. I am glad that my birthday is over. I am not sure why I reacted this way. I endured my 30th without any problems. I was my normal happy self. This wasn’t a milestone birthday.

Someone please tell me that this will not happen to me every year from now on!

No comments:

RSS Subscribe