April 17, 2011

I Love my New Job!

While I was walking to lunch on Friday I was thinking about how much I LOVE my new job.  I was feeling very grateful that I accepted the new position and made the scary decision to quit my old job.

I had known for quite some time that I wanted a new job.  There were several jobs that looked great on paper.  Some I wanted much more than others.  However, I was never sure that NCC was the company for me. 

When I left the initial interview I had several concerns.  Specifically, I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to mesh well with my new boss.  He was very different than me in a variety of ways.  He is slow and plodding.  I am quick and impulsive.  I like change and he abhors change.  He is meticulous and I often skirt the details and look at the larger picture.  These differences were very apparent in my initial meeting with him and still exist today.

Except, it works for us.  After the first few weeks (month) adjustment period we began to understand each other.  He began to trust me and I began to let a bit of my initial reserve melt away.  He cursed and then I would curse.  I have discovered that our differences really work.  I am able to do things that are difficult for him and he keeps me in check and accountable.

Most days I like my job.  Some days it is boring but most days it has enough variety to keep me interested and engaged.  The company is in a large growing phase and has an entrepreneurial spirit.  That is an excellent fit for my personality.  I love the challenge of creating new processes and better ways of doing things.  I love the satisfaction of knowing that I was the agent of change and I have made a difference.

The people are great and I have found many kindred spirits.  I went to lunch by myself on Friday.  I was seated at a table with my back to the room reading a book on my phone.  About ten minutes after I arrived two co-workers entered the restaurant, saw me from the other section and came over to invite me to join them.  That never happened at my old job.  People were cliquish and oftentimes outwardly rude.

I am so happy that things are going well after my first three months and I am looking forward to the next three.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe