June 12, 2011

First Dates are hard....

I met a guy online a few weeks ago and we went out last Sunday afternoon.  We had been talking for a few weeks via the dating website when we finally decided to meet.  I had to do the hard step of asking him out so I planned the date. We met at a McAlisters Deli for lunch and then for a walk on the Monon.  I gave him my phone number and he called me on Saturday night.  And we talked...and talked and talked through the storm and the electricity turning on and off over ten times.  At least my cell phone wasn't effected by the harsh weather conditions.  I think we ended up talking on the phone for an hour and a half.  I was surprised it was so long because he was a stranger.

I planned to meet him at 1pm on Sunday so I would get plenty of time for sleeping and it allowed for extra "getting ready" time.  Funny girl moment.  I originally had on a new top and my brown shorts because I didn't want to be hot for the walk.  I left the house and as I started down the street I began to regret the shorts.  I changed my mind and I drove around the block and right back into my garage and donned a pair of jeans.  Sigh...seriously wardrobe is hard for me.

I arrived about 10 minutes early and I walked into the restaurant and looked around for him.  I didn't see him but when I turned around to hang out by the front door he was there. He had arrived 30 minutes early and waited in his car till I arrived.  We got in line and we were behind tons of people so immediately started a conversation.  We were in line about ten minutes and close to the counter when I abruptly said "Focus...do you know what you want to eat.".   He laughed and said yes and since I knew what I wanted there was no need to focus on the menu board.  Things are much easier that way.  He asked me if I would like him to pay.  I looked at him and said since I asked him out wasn't it my responsibility to pay.  He said no he would pay if it didn't offend me.  Check 1 for being on time and check 2 for being a gentleman.

Lunch was good and we there was no awkward pauses.  Just great conversation.  Plus it was good conversation.  Not the typical get to know you questions about silly stuff.  We talked about stuff we both like books, music, religion, and life in general.  We hung out in the restaurant for a while after we were done eating to make sure it wasn't going to rain.  When the weather looked clear we drove (separately) over to the Monon and went for a 3 mile walk.  The walk involved more of the same...great conversation.

The date ended after 3.5 hours of food, walking and conversation. I think the most awkward part of the first date was the ending.  We were talking by our cars and I was done.  I am often abrupt when I am ready to move on to my new task and I was tired of being "super Candace" and I was ready for a break.  So I told him I had a good time and we should hang out again and I left. 

I texted him on Monday to say Hi and in our conversation we set up a second date for Friday.  He did the planning this time and we decided to meet for dinner after work and to go bowling.  I told him that I sucked at that activity but I thought it would be fun.

Date #2 was a success!  We met for dinner at The Rusty Bucket on the North side and things were good.  Our conversation began quickly and never stopped.  We arrived at the restaurant at 6:30 and we were there for a long time.  We both went to the bathroom at 9:30 and when we met at back at the table we laughed because it was to late to go bowling.  I assure you I wasn't broken up about it.  But we sat down and continued talking...and talking and talking.  The next time I looked at my phone it was 11:00pm.  Holy Cow we were at the restaurant for 4.5 hours.  Seriously!  In the middle of a sentence he began to laugh and he told me that our server was behind me and she was pointing to our table and laughing and then she nudged another server and they were both laughing at us.  I guess it was time to leave the restaurant.

This was a good beginning.

PS...interesting fact.  I was telling my friend at work about this guy and she asked to see a photo...I brought up is online profile picture and showed it to her and she let out a giant gasp.  She knew the guy.  She worked with him at her last job.  Small world.

1 comment:

Moore said...

OMG, when we talked you did not tell me that you asked him if you should pay for the meal. I am so glad he did not accept your offer. He gets major points for that. I knew someone who did that and when the guy let her pay, she was annoyed....for days. Also, when she really wasn't into him after that, he had no idea why.

RSS Subscribe