September 24, 2012

Follow your Heart


I try to follow my heart and do what feels right in the moment.  I try to live life with few regrets.  I would love to say NONE that that simply isn't true.  Sometimes it is the big stuff and but this time was a little thing.

I've recently had a rash of disappointments and cancellations from friends for events.  Last weekend it was the Hope ride.  I did this bike ride a few years ago and I have fond memories of a great event and I wanted to go again.  So I scrambled at the last minute and found a replacement friend to drag along with me.

The ride was good.  The weather was perfect and the company was entertaining.   It was well organized and the country air suited me.  Near the end of the ride I was getting fatigued and I stopped a few times to rest. Then it happened.  Something unusual crossed my path.  I saw a house that had three Shetland Ponies tied up in the front yard.  As we were riding by I thought about stopping but I didn't want to annoy my friend by taking another break.  We passed the driveway and I just couldn't stop myself.  I had to see the ponies.

There were two older adults standing near the house fairly far from the road.  I waved to them and I began the long trek towards them.  I met the man halfway down and asked him in an excited and rushed tone if I could pet the cute little horses.  He said yes and lead me over to the nearest one.  He told me all about them.  There was a male and a female pony and their baby that was born in March.  Adorable!  The male was kept further away because he has a temper and isn't nice to strangers.  I was petting the female.  He told me she was trained to pull a cart and she would give rides to his grandchildren.  He also gave me some bread to feed the pretty horse and it made me giggle like a little girl with delight.

I am so glad I took the time to follow my heart and take a closer look at the cute horses.  I would have regretted not doing so.  

I would have loved to show you some pictures but my friends phone battery was dead and I was to engrossed in the excursion to think about pictures.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe