January 27, 2013

Cerulean


I had the most delicious dinner at the Cerulean on Thursday night. The Cerulean is a new restaurant in the Alexander Hotel and it is located in the Wholesale district of DT.  The restaurant was pretty inside but it was loud.  The bad acoustics made it difficult to have a conversation with my companions while we were dining.  Unfortunately, the consensus at the dinner table was that new restaurants are creating these loud environments on purpose to make the atmosphere seem busier and more desirable.  I enjoy dinners out with my friends for the food AND company.  Therefore, a restaurant has to has to deliver on both items.  Strike one!

Appetizers

I ordered the Devour Downtown menu but I saw a corn macaroon on the regular menu and I couldn't resist ordering one. It was made with pork belly, smoked cheddar and arugula. Every bite was divine. Plus the plate was so pretty. It arrived at the same time as my DD appetizer, Truffled Potato Soup, Leek, Romano Crisp. The soup was OK but it was overshadowed by all the other wonderful things I ate that night.


Main Course

Fried Chicken, French Toast, Blackberry Jam, Egg Blossom, Maple

The chicken was pan fried and it was moist and succulent.  Plus, there was a beautifully poached egg perched on top of the chicken. The french toast component of the dish was presented as a whip cream and it is the white dollop next to the egg in the photo. It had a fantastic flavor and it mixed well with the chicken and egg. The plate also included a large portion of blackberry jam. I liked the flavor but the ratio of jam to french toast whip was off. There was just to much jam on the plate. It had a very distinct flavor and if you put to much of it on your fork it overwhelmed your pallet.



Dessert

Roasted White Chocolate Cream, Chocolate Malt Shards, Popcorn Brittle, Cereal Milk Ice Cream

Divine. This plate was empty in the blink of an eye. The cereal milk ice cream was the star of the plate. It was made by soaking milk/cream in fruit loops. The milk/cream took on the intense flavor of the fruit loops and then the solid pieces were strained out. It was delightfully fruity and had a creamy texture. The chocolate malt shards and popcorn brittle were a nice combination with the ice cream.






Scrumptious!!!!   I would definitely visit this restaurant again in the future.  However, I hope that the are able to fix the noise problem before my next visit.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe