May 23, 2009

Europe 2009 - Sunday May 3rd 2009

While in Europe I felt that every day was an adventure. Every day felt like a week back home. I always tried to pack in as much fun as I could.


Our group left Indianapolis on Saturday evening about six pm. It was nice to leave later in the day so I wasn't so stressed about leaving and I could take care of last minute items. As usual I didn't sleep on any part of the plane journey so I was very tired when we arrived in London on Sunday.


We were transported to our crappy hotel and were given an hour to freshen up and eat lunch. Since our room wasn't ready we decided to eat lunch at a pub attached to our hotel. I started out my London experience with the classic Fish and Chips with a pint of Stella beer. It was all tasty and delightful.


After our break the group headed out on a bus sightseeing tour of London. We had a very funny Scottish tour guide that often called out the back portion of the bus for talking and not paying attention. He was also obsessed with kittens and referenced them all through the tour. He was a very odd character.

This is the famous London Bridge. Do you see how the road is going directly through my head.



I couldn't resist trying to drink from the water fountains. BTW...it was fairly cold at this time and everyone else is shivering and huddling together for warmth and I am playing in the water.


This is GH and me in front of Buckingham Palace. We couldn't get any closer to the building.



This was a sculpture that was in the square outside of Buckingham palace. We were going for our inner foot fetish.





After our city tour we had a group dinner at the hotel and we had two guests come for a visit. They were a married couple from Finland and working in England. The lady was an exchange student in Indianapolis and had lived with the a mother and daughter that were in our group. They told us a bit about their jobs and positions as well as some of their work benefits. They get an incredible amount of vacation as well as a huge amount of maternity leave. I wish the US would emulate this bit of the European culture.

After dinner I went promptly to bed only to awake at 1 am and stay awake for the rest of the night. I wish that I didn't have such a hard time with the sleeping and jet lag when I travel. I have never been able to beat this on any of my international trips. O well...I just tried to get over it. Gretchen did wake up and talk to me for about an hour, but she went back to sleep so I laid there trying to sleep but I never actually managed it.

This concludes my first day in Europe...Look for upcoming posts for more fun stories of my travels.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe