May 18, 2009

Moderation

I was talking to a friend on the phone on Sunday night and I was explaining to her how tired I have been since I returned from my European vacation. I fall into bed exhausted every night by 11:30pm, (I know that sounds late, but it is early for me) even Friday and Saturday nights. I went to Conner Prairie on Sunday for four hours and when I returned home I needed a nap.

She diagnosed my problem with one word...Moderation....as in I don't have any ability to utilize any. She said this in a soft and quiet way as to not offend me. When conversing with a true friend I usually have the ability to listen to my faults without being angry or at least too angry. In this case I wasn't at all angry as I am fully aware that I go to excesses in many areas of my life.

Examples:

Social Activities: I like to go out almost every night of the week. I always prefer social interactions to staying at home alone with the TV and the Internet.

Reading: When I really enjoy reading I go through at least two books a week. This usually means that I am sacrificing my much needed sleep to finish so many books.

Eating: I LOVE eating out and often eat lunch out every day and dinner multiple times per week. Remember how much money I spent eating out in 2008.

Eating: I just love to eat and this has caused me to be obese my entire life.

Vacations: Exotic vacations each year...Mexico, China, India, Dubai and Europe all in four consecutive years.

This list could continue but I think you get the gist of it. So I think that my friend has got it right, the reason I have been so tired is that I never slow down and stop. I just keep going and going and going until my body YELLS at me to rest and sleep more. I have been thinking about it and I don't think that my excesses are all that horrible for me...except for the eating one...and I am working on it. I think it is important to live my life to the fullest and have fun every day. It is one of the things that makes me a happy person.

So I now feel sufficiently rested from my trip and I ready to have loads more fun at home.

Biking anyone?

5 comments:

ems said...

Okay. If you promise to stay in Tuesday/Wednesday, let's go biking on Thursday. That's moderation, right?

Actually, I would probably rather do a weekend day. Just tell me when and I'll be there. It's not like we don't have a three day weekend coming :-)

Moore said...

Yes, that is why I decline some of your offers. I need my rest and my alone time. Regarding biking, I won't be going with you for about a month, and you know that is because I care about your wellbeing. (Well, also because I'm temporarily working eves. again).

Nicole said...

Sleep when you die! I wish that I had half of your energy. In my opinion there aren't enough hours in the day.

Candace said...

I am free on Thursday or Saturday.

zlionsfan said...

Sleep is a funny thing. If you don't get enough of it, it can make a lot of other things in your life more difficult. (Like waking up on time.) But it's unusual to find someone who really does go to bed at a decent hour during the week.

I don't get nearly enough sleep during the week. I have to push myself to get six hours, and I know that's not enough for me.

I guess if I could make a suggestion that I'm not personally following, it would be to try moving in the right direction at least one night a week: set a firm bedtime and stick to it, even if it's not early enough to get you seven to eight hours of sleep. (I think they say seven now because they've given up on recommending eight.)

There will always be more time tomorrow, or something like that ... and if you find out there isn't, well, worry about that when it happens.

RSS Subscribe