April 29, 2009

Garbage Disposal

After eating dinner at home tonight I went to the kitchen to wash my dinner and lunch (packed for work) dishes. After they were rinsed and in the dishwasher I turned on the garbage disposal to a horrific sound. It was one of my favorite spoons stuck in the disposal with mangled tooth marks. I was upset at myself for not checking it, but I shrugged my shoulders and put it in the dishwasher.

I saw a container from lunch housing two sausages that I didn't eat so I placed them in the disposal and turned it to, grind...grind....lurch.....nothing. It stopped working. Being a home owner for the past five years, (yep five years at the end of May) I knew of the little tool located in the cabinet that turns the blades in the disposal when this happens. I get on my hands and knees and proceeded to located the tool and turn the bottom blades.

As I was sitting on the floor I call out to Joanne and ask her for assistance. She comes to the kitchen and I ask her to run the water and turn on the disposal again. This is what happened.

Joanne: Are you read for me to turn it on?
Candy: Yes
Disposal: grind...grind...grind.
Candy: I don't think it is fixed.
Joanne: Let me look inside
Candy: OK
Joanne: Don't do anything.
Joanne: I don't see anything...lets try it again
Candy: OK
Disposal: grind...grind...grind
Joanne: Let me put my hand in there to see if I can feel anything
Joanne: Ohhhh there is something in there
Candy: Oh...that is the sausage I just put in there

I said this as I was still sitting on the floor with my hands far from the inside of the disposal.

Joanne: OK...I will get it out and we will try it again
Disposal: grind...grind...grind
Candy: I guess it isn't fixed
Joanne: Do you have a flashlight?
Candy: Yes...it is in the drawer
Joanne: I don't see anything...just the blades
Candy: Let me turn the bottom and you can watch it move
Joanne: Slow down...wait...wait...I see something...
Joanne: It's a dime
Candy: How did that get in there...It must have been the cats!
Candy: Lets try it again
Disposal: Normal disposal noise

Go Girl Power...I am so happy to have fixed this without the aid of my brother or a repairman!

No comments:

RSS Subscribe