April 28, 2009

Nutritionist

I did the craziest thing last week. JW comes to my cube area today to talk with GW and myself. He was talking about going to the gas station to get a candy bar. I think he was just joking until I told him I really needed a Twix Peanut Butter bar. Then all three of us started to moan at the thought of how wonderful the candy would taste in our mouths. I now wanted some candy but I had no money due to my debit card debacle last week. So I tried to convince him to buy it for me and I would eventually pay him back. He thought I should pay for his too since he was being the delivery service. I conceded, but I still think we were all in the mode of joking. Then I had a brilliant idea. I realized that I had my Speedway gift card in my wallet and I could give that to him to purchase our candy. This turned the tide in my favor and thirty minutes later he was back at my desk with our yummy Twix bars.


I am telling you this story because my eating is out of control! I have tried to fix this on my own to no avail, so I am considering paying for some nutrition consulting at my gym. They offer a six week package for $199 and it includes personal one on one consulting and help with accountability. My friend NM recently began utilizing their services for her specific need and she has great things to say about their service. They also have a weight loss program, but the fee is $499. This is very steep and I am not sure that I want to pay that much money for weight loss assistance. So which would be better for me?

Nutrition Counseling

I would hope that it could help me with the following problems:

Eating in moderation
Making good choices
Eating dessert after every meal
Eating way too many calories each day
Teach me how many calories I should be eating each day
Holding me accountable
Dining out way too often



I was thinking if I could just reduce my food budget by $200 in May I could afford this service. I really think I want to do this...I will contemplate it while I am on vacation eating very delicious foods and decide when I come home.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The PB Twix picture was harsh:) love those. I think the nutritionist thing is a good idea. Have you tried a food diary? This helps me to be accountable, although I haven't done one in awhile.

One other thing came to mind while I read your e-mail. Did you read the book "1 Million Litle Pieces"? The guy was an alocoholic and he talks about 'holding on.' Just hold on for 5 more minutes, 10 minutes, etc. Obviously, you have to eat to survive, but when these cravings come, maybe you can try and avoid them for a certain amount of time or compromise and share the twix bar, or have a bite size piece of chocolate. It is all a mind game. It is funny how much in a way food is more about emotional needs than nutritional needs. Crazy.

I've actually lost about 6 pounds since Jan, and it has helped me to get motivated. I really want to loose 10 more before my b-day in July, but I need to get to gym!

Anyway, I know this is something you really want, and I'll help anyway I can. Let me know what you think and what others say. You can do it!

CH

ems said...

We talked about this a bit. I love to eat as much as you do. You know, I jumped on zlionsfan's bandwagon a bit late, but I weigh in each Wednesday, and just knowing that he's going to be losing weight is encouragement for me to keep at it. (Well, that and seeing recent pictures of myself. Sheesh!!)

Weight Watchers actually works really well, and they're cheaper than $500.00. They definitely hold you accountable, and give you all the tools you need to succeed. What I didn't like was what CH suggested to you above - the food diary. I know that it helps, and keeps you accountable, but I just don't have the patience to keep that up. (Though I know women who do it all online, which seems to suit you...)

This time, I just decided to make at least one healthier choice each time I eat. Diet Coke instead of a Coke, a smaller dinner if I had a bigger lunch, and eating out only once per week (if that.) Just making those small changes I've lost 3.5 lbs in the last two weeks. I'm not sure how much longer it will keep up, but I figure I'll keep trying.....

Just take it one step at a time. Baby steps do lead to success.

Anonymous said...

Candy, I think that you are the one who has to make the food choices yourself. You have been through so many different diets that you know what nutrition you need and what you don’t need. You choose to not listen to them when they stay away from fast food, candy, other junk food and control your portions. I don’t see what spending 200 would help you do. If you are ready to be serious about losing weight then I think you can do it. You have to take control over what goes in your mouth. Traci does not want to give up anything…I keep going back to what I said about MOM. Lots of people can drink in moderation and if they are drinking too much they have the ability to cut back. She didn’t…She had to just stop drinking all together. I think that this is the route you should consider. Draw a line in the sand and stop eating bad food!! Stop eating to much!! The theory is so simple but the execution is SO difficult. I think if you truly need assistance you should consider surgery. So many people have been able to make this a successful transformation. Part of this program is also the counseling to help with the food addiction.



I don’t know…Its just a thought.

Lou

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lou. Please don't get trapped in to paying that for information/nutrition plans that deep down you already know. If you must try something.... try Weight Watchers or even better try Overeaters' Anonymous or OA. I believe those of us who are obese (I hate that word, but for me it is true) need a different approach than friends or family, who are not. You can reach the Indy chapter via phone at 317.870.9171. They really encourage you to get honest with yourself in terms of your relationship with food. In terms of fees, it is donation-only. So it is a true low-cost option.

Candace said...

I don't think that surgery is the right thing for me but I will consider your other suggestions over the next few weeks. I just don't know.

I was talking to a friend at work today and she liked the idea of overeater's anonymous and would consider joining with me.

zlionsfan said...

One comment I can make from personal experience is that cost is no guarantee that something will work for you ... given your choices, in general, I would opt for the cheaper one, especially because both seem reasonable. Just remember that you have to use what the nutritionist says or it will not do any good.

If you're not sure about the $199, another option is to start with something that's free. There are likely a number of magazines that have websites that will send you tips of the day/week/whatever. You do get what you pay for: it's definitely not one-on-one, and you might get conflicting information or suggestions ... which might lead you back to the nutritionist.

Candace said...

I agree with the cost thing...if I really don't want to do it I will not...no matter the outcome or lost money.

I think the reason I am willing to spend the money is because I haven't done it before and I feel that it could be beneficial.

RSS Subscribe