April 22, 2009

Childhood Memory




When I was a child, in approximately sixth through tenth grade my favorite TV show was "The Facts of Life". I LOVED this show. I would watch it every day after school in re-runs, and I know I must have seen all of the episodes multiple times. After my parents purchased our first VCR player at Montgomery Wards for $400, I began taping them in earnest. When I taped these shows I would sit in the living room with the remote control and pause the taping for the commercials. So I basically did my own video editing in a very crude manner. I would watch and re-watch these episodes. I am not sure if I ever wore a tape out but I know I must have come close.

I had a full collection of them on six hour tapes that I meticulously organized. As a matter of fact my entire VHS tape collection was numbered and cataloged. I even had the tapes with multiple TV episodes logged per episode. I had a regular video store in my bedroom. I guess this is what a kid does when they have too much time on their hands.

The obsessions with TFOL lead to my obsession with boarding school. I really wanted to go. I want to remind you that my family was in no position to send me off, and I certainly didn’t have grades that would allow me a scholarship, but that didn’t hold me back. One day I went into the Junior High School counselor’s office and took all of the literature that I could find on far off boarding schools. I even applied to many of them. I don’t remember ever hearing back from any of them. But that doesn’t mean that I didn’t get a rejection, perhaps my mom filtered the mail? I will never know.

I remember babysitting for one of my mom’s friends and her having a “serious” talk with me about this topic. She had attended boarding school as an adolescent and she was trying to sway my mind and explain to me why it wouldn’t be fun. She explained that the privileged rich girls wouldn’t be nice to a little fat girl from a trailer park. I just couldn’t see it. I felt like I was “Jo”, a tough girl that could take on anything and win.

I am telling you this story because I still have crazy ideas like this as an adult and I honestly think that I can achieve them. I was doing a search for weight loss spas and camps last weekend and I ran across a website called Fat Packing. It is a company that takes the not so fit individual out for a week or two week long back-packing excursion in various state parks in American. As soon as I saw the website I immediately wanted to go. I was like, where do I sign up. It sounded like a great adventure. It combined my love of the outdoors and nature with camping, hiking and being on vacation. It is interesting to me that these are the types of vacations that I gravitate toward, when most people I know just want to go somewhere for a week and sit on a beach and be lazy. That thought never enters my mind because I always want to be active.

This trip would consist of walking approximately fifty miles in a week carrying a full fifty pound backpack across various terrains. They state on the website that it is for people who are up to fifty pounds overweight (I don’t fit into this category) and want to loose a bit of weight and have fun. They suggest that if you are unsure of your physical ability go to a sporting goods store and try on a backpack, then load it up with fifty pounds of gear, and then walk up and down the steps for fifteen minutes. After you are done you are supposed to evaluate how you feel. I think I know how it would feel but somehow it seems different to do it outside and be in the wilderness rather than in Dicks Sporting Goods. Wouldn’t it be funny to see me hiking up and down the stars at Dicks carrying a backpack ;)

Even after writing this post I still want to go on this adventure. I have already allocated all of my vacation for this year so I would like to make this a trip for the spring or summer 2010. Who wants to join me? We could sing The Facts of Life theme song as we walked.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is funny!! The whole taping and pausing for the commercial thing i forgot.

Lou

ems said...

I would totally go with you, but I've got so many restrictions on time and money that I'm a horrible person to plan a trip with. I would like to point out that I did this on a much smaller scale when I went on my 30th birthday trip. I was nowhere near in good enough shape for that trek, but I finished.... Too bad the weight loss didn't stick around for too long :-(

Nicole said...

I totally disagree with your mom's friend's advice! I think you are exactly the kind of person who could have handled boarding school and even loved it. Now I, on the other hand, would have completely folded under the social pressures. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. I don't mean to sound cliché, but you've got the personality and disposition to accomplish anything you want to. As for the hiking adventure...i'd love to do it if I'm healthy enough and could get over the fear of two weeks without products!

Fat Chick said...

OMG I'd love to go on that! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

You take the good, you take the bad............

I think I'll stay home, thank you.

Blair was a bitch you know. Tootie was a baby. Mrs. Garrett was all right. Can't remember Mindy Cohen's name on the show. Jo was my favorite (Nancy McKeon) and still is in other shows today.

Are you impressed????????

LL

Anonymous said...

Rumor has it Kim Fields (Tootie) went through a lot to be on that show. She was a couple of years younger than everyone else so she had to wear those annoying skates just to look taller. Also, they made her wear dark makeup because the producers thought she didn't looked black enough.

As for private schools, the school I went to was not a boarding school but it was private and similar in the wealth factor. Girls who didn't fit in and didn't try to were treated OK. However, it was not as positive for girls who didn't fit in and tried to. Let's just say there was a lot of crying. I never understood why they cared.

Finally, regarding the trip it is a great idea for you, but other participants will underestimate you. You, of course, will surprise them.

Candace said...

Ems...I do remember the trip you took. I was so jelous...I wanted to do that.

I would love to take that trip. We will revisit this conversation next spring when I get in crazy vacation planning mode.

Nicole...I know you could go without the make-up and girl paraphernalia for a week. If it made you feel better I bet you could pack a small tube.

I think I would have been one of the girls who wouldn't have cared and I would have done my own thing in boarding school. Too bad I never had the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

inspiring story, but count me out:) I need my ac. It is good to dream and have goals. I need to make more. I used to love FOL too. I remember when they went to Australia, I've wanted to go ever since!!!


CH

Anonymous said...

propecia hair loss

Don't allow your hair to thin or fall out any longer, try some Propecia and get on the fast track to hair loss recovery today.
[url=http://www.oldhouseresources.com/]order propecia[/url]
Don't let these scare you away from the medication though, remember it was approved by the FDA.
http://www.oldhouseresources.com/ - buy propecia

Propecia is available through a prescription from your doctor.

RSS Subscribe