April 2, 2009

Observation

I ordered pizza the last two days in a row. Please don't judge me, I am aware that pizza is not the best thing for me to eat. Technically, yesterday I didn't have pizza I received a Big Don Italian Sub and barbecue wings, today it was thin crust double peperoni pizza.

Anyways, I had an interesting observation regarding the deliver person. Both days the person appeared to be in their sixties. This struck me as very odd. I am used to the delivery person being in their twenties. It made me wonder how this demographic changed so much with-out me noticing. Is this a recent change? Has this been gradual?

I talked to the guy yesterday and he told me that it was his second job, and he lives in the same community as I do. He works nights and he was called in because the regular person has back problems. I know...I know...I have a large amount of knowledge of a stranger.

Is this a result of our bad economy? Are regular people getting second jobs. Are people getting laid off from their main jobs and the only option that they have left is to deliver pizza? Has anyone else noticed this change? Let me know your experiences.

BTW...I spent a brief period in 1993 or 1994 working for Papa Johns as a delivery driver.

3 comments:

Moore said...

I think that is probably the case with most people. I take on the educational projects because I don't feel comfortable turning down money, especially in this economy.

Moore said...

Did anyone try to rob or assault you when you were a pizza delivery driver? Did you have any close calls with odd people? Oh and most importantly, did you get free pizza?

Candace said...

I did get the free pizza, but it was always dependent on which manager was working.

I never was robbed or even came close to an assault. This career only lasted about three months.

RSS Subscribe