September 13, 2009

I am a Patron of the Arts

I had a full weekend of several Arty activities. I listened to some Opera on Friday night, I viewed various types of Art on Saturday and I saw a play on Sunday. In between those activities I managed to go on two hikes. I visited Eagle Creek on Saturday evening and Fort Harrison on Sunday morning. I felt like I packed in a variety of social, physical and mental stimulus in the past few days.

I shall start at the beginning. I remained friends with a co-worker who has since moved on to a fantastic job at IUPUI and she received two free tickets to a concert by Angela Brown at the Madame Walker Theatre. Angela Brown is a world traveled Opera singer. She preformed a concert at the theatre in honor of IUPUI's 40th anniversary.

Most of the patrons in the audience were very well dressed. I am glad that my friend advised me because it was very likely that I would have wore my jeans and T-Shirt. I am glad that I didn't go with my first instincts and brought some clothes to change into.

The concert consisted of a full two hours of singing and commentary. Angela Brown is a very charismatic person. When she spoke she captured your attention and made me want to listen to her. The first hour of the concert she sang a variety of Opera songs that I have never heard of and were mostly in other languages. The second part of the show she created a duet with a Broad Ripple HS Choral Ensemble and then she brought out a guitar player.

Ok...here it is....I don't think that I am as cultured as I thought I was, because I didn't like this show. I don't like it when I cannot understand the songs and the high pitch was hard for me to listen to. I am extremely leery of attending any future Opera shows. In the past I have considered seeing one of the simulcasts that play in the movie theatres presented from the NY Met. I may have to pass on this future endeavor. I am glad that I had the opportunity to experience this type of music but once was definitely enough.

On Saturday I was invited to the Penrod Arts Fair. I have attended this once before about two years ago and somehow I was able to get in without paying. I am not sure how that happened and that wasn't our intention. Which comes to my biggest problem with this event, it's cost! They charge $15 admission at the gate to see vendors and purchase their products. Why should I pay admission to make an art purchase? Isn't the art expensive enough as it is? I enjoy the art and seeing their variety of wares but I would have enjoyed it more for free.

I enjoyed my time at the fair but I think it will be low on my future entertainment choices. BTW...I was able to leave the fair without buying any art. I feel extremely lucky to have made it out with my bank account intact. However, I did purchase some fantastic popcorn. It was the best popcorn that I have ever tasted and it was called Rupert's Tye-Dyelicious Corn. It was multi-flavored and was reminiscent of Fruit Loops. The bag was gone pretty quickly. I am sure that I don't want to know the nutritional information.

The final event of the weekend was the first show of the season presented at the Phoenix Theatre. It was called, "The Most Damaging Wound" and was utterly fantastic. The show held my rapt attention the entire 90 minutes. These types of dramatic shows really appeal to me and it was very well done. All of the actors were extremely believable and cast well. Also, the costume design was spot on. You really got a sense of the character and their personality by their clothing choice.

The show was very funny and dramatic at the same time. At one point ems covered her eyes during the show. I was confused as there was no nudity on the stage but just funny sex talk. She said when it was done that she was embarrassed for the characters. I cannot recommend this show enough! Everyone GO AND SEE IT. Click on the link and make a reservation! I am so glad that I decided to purchase my season tickets and I look forward to their future shows.

So every one of these experiences had something to offer but the best was the show at the Phoenix. I am glad that I have so many friends who are interested and willing to enjoy these activities with me.

2 comments:

Moore said...

Angela Brown is awesome, but unfortunately I am not an Opera fan either. As for those Phoenix shows, they are too R-rated for me.

zlionsfan said...

Not liking one show doesn't mean you're not cultured. It just means you didn't like the show.

I've never been to the opera, but I'd guess that to enjoy it you would either have to know Italian or French or stuff like that (depending on the composer), or you'd have to think of it like other classical music. I mean, I don't think you have to understand German to appreciate Beethoven's Ninth Symphony ... in a sense, it's weird for me to see the lyrics (I'd never seen them before looking them up today) and match them to the song.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of art fairs that charge for entry. (Not that I'm a fan of art fairs in general, but again that may be from proximity. I've been to Ann Arbor's enough times.) Street fairs, maybe, but still probably not. I'd rather pay for something tangible, like food.

I am aware of your interest in salacious behavior. I believe I will pass on the show you recommend so heartily.

RSS Subscribe