November 27, 2009

Irresponsibility

Usually, I am a responsible girl. If you ask me to bring something, I always remember it. If you ask me to meet you somewhere, I am usually on time and at the right spot. If you ask me to pick you up at the airport I am always there on time. That is not the case today. Some form of haze enveloped me, and I was WAAAYYY late for Lou's airport pick-up today.


We spoke on the phone this morning to confirm the pick-up time. He told me that his plane was to arrive at 2:45pm. I told him I would plan to arrive at 3:00 to give him time to get his luggage and two girls outside. After the phone call I wandered back into my room to watch TV and then a movie (Funny People...way too depressing). As I was watching the movie I tried to do the time math in my head. I need 45 minuets to drive to the airport...so I need to leave my house by 2:15. I need 45 minutes to shower and dress, so I needed to start at 1:30. I had the time line down.

I got in the shower sort-of on time...around 1:40 but I knew I could make up the 10 minutes. When I was done in the shower, I unpaused the movie and continued my dressing routine. The next instance I was aware of the time it was 2:15 and I was sitting on the couch half dressed relaxing. Somehow the time didn't stress me out and I had completely forgotten the aforementioned timeline. I didn't move until the movie ended at 2:30. I only got up then to get my book because I thought I had plenty of time. I sat and read until 2:40 when I thought I should probably finish getting dressed and get ready to leave.

I donned my shirt and shoes, and then decided to sync my IPOD because I wanted to listen to the new Bob Marley album I downloaded today. When that was done so I headed outside to the car and and to get the mail. Wow...Joanne got the package she was expecting from Amazon...so I decided to text her and let her know it was on the kitchen table. I was finally sitting in the car at 2:46 when I get a text from Lou that said, "We just landed".

Fuck! I finally dropped out of my time haze. I could not believe that he just landed and I was still sitting at my house 45 minutes away. Of course, I needed to spend another minute in my driveway to set up the IPOD and I then raced off to the airport. As I was speeding I tried to think of some good lies about being late. There was the idea of Bad Traffic or Mickey running out of the house and I needed to catch him.

I still didn't have a good story planned when my phone began to ring at 3:05. I was lucky as it was only Sarah, and it was easy to blow her off and tell her I was still driving. There was no need for her to know that I was still near Castleton when I told her I would be there in about 15 minutes. I knew that was a stretch but it bought me some time. The second time my phone rang at 3:20 I wasn't so lucky. It was Lou and I could no longer avoid the situation.

I told him I was still driving but that wasn't a good enough answer. I then had tell him that I was near downtown. Ok...I wasn't exactly downtown yet...but I could see it from my position on I70. I decided to tell him the truth and fess up. I explained about my time haze and after his initial anger he began to laugh with me or...at me.

I finally arrived at the airport at 3:35. A full 35 minutes late. I am glad that they handled it so well. I know if it was reversed I would have been angry for a longer period of time. I also need to build good will as I require transportation to the airport several times each year.

I am VERY Sorry Lou! Please accept my apology. I promise the next time I will really try to be on time;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, loved your story on Biggest Loser. You come off as so confident that I sometimes forget that anything is a struggle for you. You are also a very sweet person!

GH

RSS Subscribe