December 1, 2009

The Biggest Loser

I have some exciting news. Ya I do! I just finished preparing my application to become the next contestant on The Biggest Loser. All that is left is to mail it out on Wednesday. Thanks to Ems who put this idea into my head. We were talking about this a couple of months ago and I guess it has stuck in my brain since then.

I became more serous about this idea about a month ago. I did some research and I found out the necessary items that I needed to apply. They include a 9 page application, photos of myself and a 10 minute video. That didn't seem so bad but I didn't have a video camera and I wasn't sure how I was going to accomplish that part of the task. About three and a half weeks ago I sent a text to Lou asking if he he had one. He responded that Traci had one. I then asked if I could borrow it. There was no response to this text so I let it go for about a week and a half.

The idea came back into my head and I sent a second requested to Lou to borrow the video camera. Upon further discussion with him, I discovered that this was an old school (not digital) video recorder. I knew that wasn't what I was in the market for. I finally caught Lou live, and on the phone about this topic and he suggested that I use my camera on the video setting. He is a Genius. Why didn't I think of that. I then told him I wanted to make a video of myself but I didn't want anyone to be there to film me. He thought for a minute and he said that he had a tripod and I could mount my camera. Viola! What a great and wonderful idea.

We spoke for a few more minutes when he finally asked me why I needed a video camera. He joked that I was going to make an "adult" movie of myself. GROSS!!!! I cannot imagine that I would ever want to take a staring role in an adult movie. Anyway, I finally explained to him my idea about The Biggest Loser. I was pretty impressed that we had so many texts, emails and phone conversations about this topic without him asking me why. If someone had asked to borrow my video camera, that would be my first question. I felt like our conversation implied secrecy but apparently he didn't come away with that feeling and he blabbed it to his family. I think I will be more direct the next time that I require secrecy.

I knew my biggest obstacle to this project was going to be the video. I knew once that was completed everything else would fall easily into line. Sunday night was the perfect time. Joanne was away from home for three days and I had complete freedom to create a movie in my living room. About an hour after she left I created my movie studio. I set up the tripod in front of the red love seat. I took a couple test shots and I decided that I needed more light. So I dragged two lamps into the living and I leaned them against the table to point the light toward my face.

I then got dressed into one of my work outfits, the grey agile sweater and black pants. I also decided I needed some make-up to make my face and eyes pop. I went into the bathroom and started applying the eye make-up. Then Wham....I got a gob of eyeliner stuck in my eye and I couldn't get it out. When I recovered from that debacle I had smeared all of the make-up on my right eye. I did some damage repair but it never looked as good as it should have.

My hair was ready, my face was ready and my clothes were ready. Now I needed to make my mind ready. I had been thinking about what I would say on the video since I decided to do it, but I never wrote out a script. I felt that if I had written out a script, I would sound forced and unnatural. I knew the topics I wanted to cover and I just made up my mind to do it. I walked out into the living room, started the recording mode and began to speak.

I appeared to be extremely nervous for the first two minutes but I think I warmed up and became more comfortable. I felt that I spoke from my heart and I was clear and concise. But...do I really make so many facial expressions. Seriously! When I watched the video my face was so expressive. I moved my eyes around allot and I would stare off into the sky as I was thinking and gathering my thoughts. OMG...it was so embarrassing to watch my video. BTW...IT WILL NOT BE POSTED ANYWHERE ONLINE! I have reached my threshold of sharing ;)

The video was done. I watched it a couple of times and I was satisfied with the results. It wasn't perfect but I felt that it conveyed me and hopefully it will make them like me. The funny thing is after watching the video the overwhelming impression of me is that I am sweet. How odd...I don't usually consider myself sweet. But that is how it turned out. I ended the video with a famous line from Grey's Anatomy. Bonus points to the person who can figure out what line I used.

So it was done. The application was fairly straightforward and easy. The nine pages are complete and everything is in the envelope ready to be mailed tomorrow.

WoW! I am still a little shocked that I actually followed through and finished the application.

Think good thoughts for me!

PS...I promised Ems that if I did get on the show I wouldn't Cry! I will try really hard to fulfill that vow.

7 comments:

Moore said...

I've wondered for the longest time why you didn't apply. Did I ever mention that to you? I could have helped with the video. I've auditioned for a few things, but not any reality shows....only because I have trouble sharing that much personal info. Good Luck. If you are selected it would be a life-changing experience that goes beyond the physical.

Anonymous said...

Hi, loved your story on Biggest Loser. You come off as so confident that I sometimes forget that anything is a struggle for you. You are also a very sweet person!

GH

ems said...

Man! If you're on there, I'm going to have to start being nice to the contestants on the show!!! Or maybe I can just be nice to you. Hmmmm.

You're a big girl, and you can cry if you want to. Just remember that it will be on national television. Also, don't let Jillian make you cry during her "heart to heart."

Did you end your video with, "Seriously?"

I can't believe you took one of my suggestions. No one ever takes my suggestions. I can't wait to see you on the show!! :-)

You are sweet. Unless you're being unruly. And then you're more fun :-)

ems said...

Oooh! Just thought of this. Did you SAY it was a quote from Grey's Anatomy? Because, you know, Grey's is on ABC, and the Biggest Loser is on NBC.... :-)

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting and a wonderful idea. I absolutely love that show. One of my favorites. I am so proud of you Candy.

NE

Candace said...

How is a person with DVR supposed to keep track of which networks our favorite shows are on?

PS...you don't have my ending quote right yet.

Moore said...

A person who had a DVR AND watches the news or show promos would know. Oh, wait a minute, that's not you.

RSS Subscribe