December 27, 2009

Kindle Rant

It seriously doesn't work anymore! Bastards! I am typing away in anger over the conversation I just had with the Amazon Kindle support team.

Me: My Kindle is not working properly. I have plugged it in and I have reset it but the screen will not work.

Kindle Customer Support: Did you reset if for 20 seconds?

Me: No...but I will try that.

30 seconds later...just to be through...

Me: It appears to boot up but nothing will appear on the screen except for random lines.

Kindle Customer Support: I am sorry but there is nothing else that I can do. It also appears that you are outside of your one year warranty period. What I can offer you is a refurbished Kindle for $99 or you can purchase the newest model on our website ($259).

Me: Seriously....What are my options for repair?

Kindle Customer Support: There are none. We don't repair the Kindle.

Me: Seriously???

Me: Thanks...but I will need to think about this.

End Call!

Bastards!

They cannot repair my 2 year old Kindle and I have to purchase a new or refurbished machine. I paid $399 for this toy and I no longer have access to the books that I have purchased without purchasing a new machine. Hello...I was in the middle of reading a book.

I realize that I purchased a first generation model of a brand new product but still...for $399 I should get better options. Ugg....I just don't know what I want to do. Up until this phone call Amazon was my favorite retailer...they have just been knocked down a few pegs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What!!!!
Curses to them. Bunch of bachagalupes!!!!

NE

zlionsfan said...

It's true ... this isn't as odd as you might think. Most places have a pretty firm position on post-warranty repairs. For example, there are plenty of stories about the Xbox 360 if you're interested in reading them. (This is also why an extended warranty seems like a good idea at times. In theory, it's a great idea, especially if the extended warranty says you get a replacement, no questions asked, if the device fails. In practice, you might get as much pushback from the company offering the warranty - which might not be the same as the store selling it - as you would simply bringing in the device for repair. The extended warranty offered for Kindles now is not through Amazon.)

Repair costs can often be a significant percentage of an electronic device's original cost. It is odd that Amazon doesn't repair Kindles, but perhaps that's just not an area where they wanted to be involved. If they are keeping the hardware under lock and key, so to speak, that would preclude most other companies from offering repair services. There do seem to be third-party repair services available, if you're brave enough to seek them out.

I'm not sure I agree with the concept (of not repairing devices) in general. I wonder if pressure on Amazon will mount as first-generation Kindles gradually begin to break ...

RSS Subscribe