January 5, 2010

Scrooge McDuck


I believe I have turned into Scrooge McDuck. After a chilly camping experience in October 2007 I realized that I could tolerate a colder sleeping environment. We were tent camping and it reached the low 40’s at night. Don’t get me wrong, it was cold but with the proper gear it was tolerable and enjoyable.

After I came home from that trip I decided that I didn’t need to have my heat so high in my house. I experimented with temperatures and I decided that I would keep the heat at 66 degrees in the winter. That worked well for me last winter.

This winter I thought I would lower it again, the roommate and I have been basking in the balmy indoor temperature of 64 degrees. I have gotten used to this temperature and I generally don’t worry about being cold. I usually wear warmer winter PJ’s and socks and on occasion I will don the fuzzy robe as extra insulation. I don’t usually find myself cold, especially if I am walking around and doing chores.

This changed this week with the extreme cold snap. I was cold last night but I just couldn’t bring myself to turn up the heat. I finally gave up at 11:30 and I crawled in my bed under the 3.5 covers I utilize every night. The 1.5 represents a king size blanket that I have folded in half. I don’t think it can be considered two since I have been using the same blanket for the last 20 years. Really 20 years! I think I got in when I was in junior high.

Anyway, I was laying in bed trying to read my book. It quickly became unbearable to have my arms and shoulders uncovered. I tried just poking my hands out to hold the book but I found that awkward. I tried to rotate arms and hands out but the book is so big, I need both of my hands to hold it. At one point I found myself totally under the covers and sitting on my hands trying to come up with a resolution to my problem. The resolution was clear, but I just couldn’t bring myself to increase the heat. I finally gave up reading for the night so I could huddle shivering under the covers.

What is wrong with me! Ok…don’t answer that question. I am having guests over for a breakfast book club in a few weeks…I am considering increasing the heat for them. But…it is still up for debate.

4 comments:

zlionsfan said...

I'll bring gloves and a blanket.

Anonymous said...

get a snuggie

AL

ems said...

I'll wear a hat and sit near the heating vent. It will be fine :-)

Moore said...

My house is often cold because of the skylights. I keep my (gas) heat between 68 and 70 but still have to supplement that occasionally with a quality electric heater. I like the Lasko and Holmes brands. If you plan to keep your heat at 64 degrees on book club day, I will be bringing one of the heaters with me. It won't affect your electric bill too much.

RSS Subscribe