January 27, 2010

Progress Report

As many of you may know, I have been on a long and winding road of weight loss and exercise. On November 30, 2009 I took body measurements in several key areas with my trainer at the gym. I decided to update my measurements tonight and to my great delight, I have made some noteworthy progress in the last two months.

1. I have lost a total of 17 inches in 14 areas.

2. I have lost 3.5 inches in my chest. I know...girls don't usually like to loose in this area...but I am quite happy with the results.

3. I have lost 1 inch in each bicep.

4. I have lost 2.5 inches in my hips.

5. I have lost 1.5 inches in my R thigh and .5 inch in my L thigh. But, at least they are now both the same size.

I have been doing a ton of weight training so I began to think that I was getting stronger.  Last week I was feeling especially cocky so I wrote my little brother an email requesting an arm wresting contest.  I was humble when I wrote this email and said that I didn't think I could beat him but I wanted to try.  What I really was thinking was there was an itsy bitsy chance that I might actually beat him.  My brother doesn't do any working out but he is a normal enough man when it comes to his natural muscular abilities.  He is also about 10 inches taller than me and I think his femur is a good four inches longer than mine. So just with leverage he had quite an advantage.

Friday came and I went to his house for some homemade pizza and Mario.  Shortly after I arrived I reminded him of my proposed contest.  We sat down at the kitchen table and a couple of the children gathered around us.  However, I am not sure who they were rooting for.  We clasped hands and WHAM...my hand was immediately on the table.  I tried again and again and again...and he kept easily beating me.  Little Bastard!  I  told him to give me a slight break and let me try my hardest without him immediately laying me out on the table.  I still didn't win but I held him off for a good 20 or so seconds of me scrunched up my face and groaning.  He told me when we were finished that I made him use about 75% of his available strength. 

So I think we should have a rematch in about four month and I can measure that progress.  However, if I actually do get close to beating him I am not sure his pride will actually let him admit it;)  Game on Lou!

Workout Stats:

I can do about 15 traditional push-ups without collapsing.  Hell Yea...there are no girlie push-ups in my regime!
I can do about 30 leg lifts with 160 pounds.  My god that is another person!
I can do about 50 lunges holding 40 pounds.
I can bench press about 30 pounds.
I can endure Evil Trainer Mandy for 60 minutes;)

O...I have also lost about four pounds in January so my no eating in the evening decision could be working.  This brings me to a total weight loss of about 35 pounds in the last year or so.  Woot!  Woot!

3 comments:

ems said...

Woo to the Hoo!

Back when I was working out, I challenged the boy to an arm wrestling competition. You know how thin he is. I thought FOR SURE I would best him.

Yeah. Just like you - WHAM, and it was over. After that I came to the realization that boys are deceptively strong.

Candace said...

Perhaps I should try this experiment with a weak boy. Do you know any?

Moore said...

Sorry, even a weak man could beat most girls in this type of contest. I'm pretty sure a 10-year-old boy could beat me at arm-wrestling, but then I ain't had no personal training :).

RSS Subscribe