August 26, 2010

Blunt Force Trauma

OMG…I had an epic biking accident on Monday night.  I decided to do a difficult route by myself in the evening and midway through the ride things went terribly wrong.  The problem came when I got to the bottom of the second hill in a series of three back to back hills.  I was having a hard time down shifting into gear 1.   I rode around in some driveways while I tried to resolve the problem and I finally managed to get in the proper gear.  A few moments later I got to the end of the hill Spur, I turned around and rested for a few minutes before doing it all over again.

I started off strong and I flew down the first hill and then I started to make my way up the second hill and then bam!  My chain popped and I started to fall.  I tried to remove my cleat from the pedal, but it all happened so fast I wasn’t able to remove it and I began to descend to the ground.  Then the real issue occurred.  My handlebars began to turn sideways and I ended up taking the brunt of the fall into the blunt end of my handlebar.  I got hit in the center of my chest on my ribcage.  I took a photo but I decided I really didn't want to post it;)

All the wind went out of my body.  I could hardly breathe and I almost vomited.  I held that back but I was defiantly dazed.  I sat on the pavement for a few minutes and tried to clear my head.  I was in shock at how painful the fall was.  All of my prior falls involved hitting my knee and elbow.  Those were both painful but I was able to recover quickly.  This was not a quick recovery.

I stood up and tested out my body.  I waked around and despite the intense pain in my chest I didn’t think I broke anything.  I decided to check out my bike.  I got the chain back on but the gears no longer worked properly and my rear brake was stuck on.  Eeek!   I managed to get the brakes unstuck but I could tell that it was no longer quite right.  I felt that the bike was damaged but it could endure the ride back to my car.

Did I mention that I was in the middle of my ride and 12 miles from my car.  I picked up my bike and I started pushing it up and down the remaining hills as I was no longer interested in climbing them on my bike.  I considered calling someone to come and rescue me but I quickly dismissed that idea.  I didn’t want to be a burden to anyone and I thought it would be silly to wait for someone to come and get me.  I knew my brother was busy with his children and he probably didn’t have the time to come and get me.

I believe this was the biggest mistake of the day.  I never should have decided to ride back to my car.  I was in pain and my bike was in pain.  This was the time to call in a favor and ask for help.  I seriously hate asking for help.  I had already felt like I called in a favor three days before that when I discovered a flat tire the night before an important bike event.  Also, I wasn’t convinced that I knew how to tell someone where I was.  I knew the route on my bike but I didn’t know it by car and I wasn’t sure of road names.

Being an independent and single women I have learned to rely on myself, even when in duress.  I just never want to bother anyone with a real or imagined crisis.  I also wasn't sure this was a real crisis.  Duh it was but at the time I just thought I would deal with the pain until I got home.  I did and it worked out but it wasn't the best decision.

As I was driving home I pondered the necessity of visiting an ER.  I called my friend GH who is a nurse and an EMT and I enlisted her medical advise.  She told me I probably bruised ribs and doctors don't have a remedy for that injury.  The biggest worry I had was weather or not I had an internal injury.  She gave the waring signs and I promised I would get to an ER pronto if I had any of them. Thankfully, there has been no warning signs and I appear to be on the mend.  Today was the turning point where I really began to feel better.

Whoop!  Today was also the day I got my bike back from the repair shop.  I messed up the brakes, bent the derailleur, bent the handle bars and the wheels were out of alignment.  $60 later and she is all fixed up.

I think I learned an important lesson from this accident.  Call for help when I need it.  Don't be brave or think  an accident is minor. It is more important to be safe than sorry later.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe