January 16, 2011

New Goals

I know this is a theme in my life and in my blog but I like to have goals.  I find if I make my goals measurable and obtainable I work hard to bring them to fruition.  Last year I had three biking related goals and I easily obtained each of them.  I think the biking goals are easy for me to obtain because I really enjoy biking and it is something in which I like to work hard.  Other goals not so much.  Oftentimes money and spending goals are easily forgotten and I am often too afraid to make weight loss goals. Not today.

This brings me to my current goal.  Losing weight.  This has always been my nemesis.  I had some success in this area last year but ever since November I have lost my momentum. I can't stop eating everything in sight and it totally negates every ounce of effort I put into working out.  So I want that to change and I have found a very attractive carrot to waive in front of my face.  A SHINY NEW ROAD BIKE!
Isn't this Green Trek pretty.
I have been lusting after one since August and I have refrained from moving forward and making that purchase for a variety of reasons.  Last week I was reading a cycling magazine and it brought that desire to the forefront of my mind.  I WANT one.  I immediately thought I should make a weight loss goal related to the purchase of this new bike.  I feel like biking is so motivating for me that mixing the two might help me move away from my current slump and push me to be more serious about my eating.

I want to weight less than 200lbs.  Two years ago I would have said "NEVER" and that number is totally unobtainable.  With the success I have had this year I now realize that weight is within my grasp.  I will need to loose 55lbs in order to obtain that goal.  Ok...if you can do basic math you now know how much I weigh.  Eeek...did I really just write that?? 

So if you know me and are my friend I would appreciate any support/encouragement and help you are able to provide.  I am currently using myfitnesspal.com to track my daily food intake and they say I should be eating 1510 calories per day.  I need to stay within that range.  If you are interested in providing me encouragement and/or tough love let me know and I will send you an invite to be my "friend" on the website and you will be able to see what I eat every day.  If you are interested I will do the same for you.  Ask GH and Ems..I can me mean;)

I haven't set a time frame for this goal because I don't mind the "slow and steady" mindset in this area.  Over the summer I was averaging 7lbs per month and that is where I would like to be again. At that rate it will take me eight months to reach my goal.  Hm...September.  So the road bike will be for the following year.  Done.

1 comment:

Moore said...

You can totally achieve that goal. I would tell anyone that if they want to stay on point with their weight to track their food (even when they just want to maintain their current weight). When I abandoned tracking, I started to gain. Now, I'm losing again. Of course, doing well in my company's weight loss challenge is my current incentive. Oh, and I think it is interesting that your dream bike is a Trek. I know why....we Trek owners are quite cool.

RSS Subscribe