February 22, 2011

I don't want a dog!

I promise you I don't.  Really!

This past weekend I took an unexpected trip to Evansville with Ems and Z.  It was planned on Friday morning and the general purpose was to keep Ems company during the car ride as she had several things to do while she was in Evansville.  This lead to tons of downtime on Saturday and Sunday.  It was nice to spend Saturday afternoon just relaxing with my book and laptop and phone.  There was no pressure to do chores or unwanted and pesky tasks.  It was very nice.

On Saturday afternoon I decided to take Blue (Ems parents dog) for a long walk.  It was warm outside and the weather was beckoning me to enjoy the false spring.  After a few minutes of inspection I installed the tricky dog collar and took Blue on a trek of the neighborhood.
Isn't he pretty?  PS...I stole this photo from Em's blog...you should check it out.

It was just me, Blue and my iPod.  I walked for over an hour through the neighborhoods and the Catholic retreat center.  Blue was a perfect angel and walked next to me the entire time.  He never acted out or barked at other people.  So even though I know I don't want a dog and I know I am completely a cat person, I wish for a dog on those perfect spring days.  I know I am not likely to just go out by myself and walk around, but having a purpose makes it so much easier.

The time outside was so peaceful.  I listened to my book for a while and then switched to music.  I bet I was even heard singing out loud several times and I didn't care because I was an unknown in that neighborhood.  The funny thing was that Blue wasn't.  Unknown that is.  People waved at me and at Blue.  I walked him both days, Saturday and Sunday, and each day someone came up to me and said, "Isn't that Blue?"  I then had to explain how I knew Blue and why I had him out.  That really is the nice thing about small neighborhoods.

So, I don't really want a dog but I wouldn't mind borrowing one on occasion for an afternoon of blissful relaxation and serenity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No worries, I have six puppies that would love your attention. I would love to go on walks with you and the pups!!! Love it!!!

GH

Anonymous said...

Lol...you are getting so mature candy. All of these preconceived ideas you have have for most of your adult life seem to be melting away. What's next? Will you be cooking liver for dinner sometime? Or perhaps you will curl up some cool morning with a nice hot cup of coffee? Lol...who knows what the future holds.

Lou

ems said...

You can borrow Blue anytime you want. He's here all month :-)

Anonymous said...

I don’t have a dog but I keep several kinds of dog bones and treats in various sizes. I have Max, Chance, Sadie, Emmy, Punkin, and Sophie all within sight of my house. I have permission to give them treats when I am outside. I occasionally bring them over to my yard when I am going to be out for a while. I enjoy them then take them back home. They all love coming to my house (although they cannot come inside). It’s the best way to have a dog when I am never home.

LL

RSS Subscribe