March 6, 2011

Biking to Work

I had this idea a few months ago that I wanted to ride my bike to work this summer.  I wasn’t sure if this was going to be a fleeting idea or if it was going to stick.  It stuck.  I think about it all the time and I am frequently scheming about how to make it work out.

Here is the plan.  I would drive my car from my house in Noblesville to the Monon trailhead at 146th street.  I would need to leave my house by 5:30am and I would get to the trail and be ready to ride by 6:00am.  I would pack my backpack with work clothes and necessities and have everything ready the night before.  I think it will take me about 90 minutes to get downtown and that would get me there about 7:30am.  That time line should work as my official start time is 8:30am.

Now for the hard part.  I knew my office building had a gym and I heard a rumor that it was going to be open to employees very soon.  I got the email on Friday and I was super excited until I read that the facility doesn't have a shower.  Damn.  I really need a shower before work.

The second idea I had was to ride to NIFS to shower and dress in the mornings.  They offer a commuter package that includes a small locker for your stuff and use of the facilities for $30 a month.  I though that would be a fair deal.  I looked at the map and it is 1.2 miles from my office building.  Damn, that is just to far to walk in the mornings and still be fresh for work.  I crossed that idea off of my list.

I recently got an email from The Bicycle Garage and they announced that the City Market was going to open a bicycle hub in their location and it would include showers and bike lockers.  Woo Hoo!  That is a great location at a half mile from my work and a brand new facility.  I am excited about this idea…except that it isn’t slated to open until July 4, 2011 and they are still waiting on final approval.  Dun Dun Dun

Good news for the long run but nothing in the short run.  At least this exciting/disappointing news opened my eyes to another possibility.  The YMCA is very close to my work so it would be easy enough to go there in the mornings to shower.  I would just have to sweet talk my boss to let me keep my bike somewhere on our floor of the building as I wouldn’t want to leave it outside unattended all day.

There are so many variables that I would need to work out before I rode to work for the first time but I know I can do it.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I think this is great. I wish I had you enthusiasm about riding, or walking for that matter. Keep it up.

LL

Anonymous said...

Just drive to work!

AL

Moore said...

Goodness, that's a lot of workaround. Logistically, I think it would be easier for ME to bike to work. Too bad I don't have that kind of energy in the a.m. However, I am sure your plan will come together flawlessly just in time for the decent riding weather.

zlionsfan said...

Google Maps suggests that the drive will be about 27 minutes if you take Greenfield to 37 to 146th. I would plan on 35 minutes from leaving your house to being ready on your bike: keep in mind that this won't be like a fun ride in that you can't afford to forget anything.

The Monon is open sunrise to sunset, which doesn't matter much to you except that if they have not opened the lot, you won't be able to park there. This may be a small problem for you, considering that the earliest the sun rises in Indianapolis is 6:16 AM. Now, what really matters isn't when the sun actually rises, but when someone from the Parks and Rec department opens the lot, so let's say for the sake of argument that it's open when you get there. (Sunrise on April 1 is about 7:30 AM. You want to be really, really sure about when they open the gates if you try this during the spring.)

The ride is about 16.5 miles, but you'll be crossing a bunch of roads during rush hour, including Westfield, Broad Ripple, and 38th. You'll also be carrying a fairly heavy backpack on your back, and that may cause you to ride more slowly, particularly if you've not ridden with a load before. Make sure you are taking this extra time into account.

Finally, make sure to allow enough cleanup time, especially if you are not doing this in your building or if you are riding in inclement weather. (Also make sure that your backpack is waterproof. It won't do you any good to get to the Y or your building and find out that everything in your pack is wet.) If you're lucky, you'll have time to eat or drink something before you get to work ...

Of course, on the way back, you'll encounter the same problems: rush-hour traffic downtown and on 38th, getting to the lot before it closes (sunset is 8:08 PM on April 1, so again, if you're trying this in the spring, make sure you know how this works: a call to Carmel/Clay Parks and Rec might be a good idea), and possibly riding in near darkness for part of the way home. (Again, wet weather can be a problem. Bring things to sit on in the car. Make sure you have some kind of cover for your head so that you can see to put the bike on your car ... it sounds funny unless you choose the day we have an evening downpour to ride home.) You'll want to make sure you eat something when you get home, and then you'll probably have to go to bed, because you'll be about 17 hours into your day.

I expect it will be a learning experience. Good luck.

RSS Subscribe