March 7, 2011

What’s in a Name?

My name is Candace but oftentimes people call me Candy.  That is the name that I am used to but not the name I prefer.  I prefer Candace.

I should have remembered that the first day of my new job.  Duh, because I immediately began to introduce myself as Candy and then I would sign everything as Candace.  This was very confusing to my new co-workers.  Then they started to set up my new user ID’s as Candy and I knew I will have to live with that forever…or as long as I am employed at my current job (Let’s hope a long time;).

It is funny because when new people ask me what I prefer I act like a deer in the headlights of a giant hunting truck.  Scared and unable to move.  After a few moments of thinking and stuttering I usually say Candy even though that isn’t what I mean.  I don’t really know why I have a hard time with this name thing.  I have had it my whole life.  I think I hate the way Candy looks written down.  I always sign everything as Candace or CDS.

Doesn't it look delicious.
I think this began when I was a teenager and I was traumatized with my name.  I lived in a college town with tons of inappropriate young men that worked in the service industry.  When I would call out for pizza, I did this often as it only a mere $5.50 for a small Myles pizza to be delivered, I learned quickly to give a pseudonym as the inappropriate young men would often make rude sexual comments about my name and it made me uncomfortable.

There was a brief period where I embraced this side and I decided to change the spelling of my first name to Candi.  Yes…that is an “I” at the end of my name.  YUCK!  I believe this lasted from junior high all the way through high school.  Plus my brother will never let me forget this period in my life.

You can still call me Candy but know that I don’t really like it.

2 comments:

Moore said...

I have known you for a while, but did not know this about you. Candace feels so formal but that is because I am so used to Candy. How do you feel about your middle name? You know you also could make up a stage name like Lady Gaga did.:)

Unknown said...

My middle name is Dawn and I really don't like that either. Sometimes my brother will call me CD and I like that.

BTW...I don't think I am cool enough to invent a stage name for myself;)

RSS Subscribe