January 21, 2009

My teeth…my teeth…my teeth

A couple weeks ago I had my semi-annual dental cleaning appointment at my favorite dentist. She was very nice and gently cleaned the six months worth of stuff that was accumulated. The hygienist also took a full set of dental x-rays for the dentist to review for any new tooth developments. YES…there were new developments.

After the dentist reviewed the x-rays and then my mouth she told me that I needed three new crowns with a potential for a fourth. Whatever! Four new crowns! The bottom line cost on that activity is around $3000 and that doesn’t take into account any potential root canals. Every time that I have had major work like this done, and the dentist had drilled out my teeth, I somehow end up needing root canals. Each root canal costs about $1000, so this could cost me upwards of $7000. I was not a happy camper when I left the dentist office. I am going to wait to do any of this work until May when I can renew my flexible spending account. This will help me budget to pay for these items while not charging any of them. Please have good thought that they will hold up until then.

Later that week I had a conversation with one of my friends about this topic and she gave me rave reviews of her electric toothbrush. Her visit for her teeth cleaning lasted only five minutes...I guess she is doing something right. I had been thinking about getting one for a while and I decided to go for it and spend the money. I went to BB&B to purchase it because I have one of their famous 20% off coupons. They had several different kinds with various attachments as well as price points. I found an employee who seamed knowledge about the topic and he gave me some very helpful and useful information. I chose the basic $40 sonic care version because I didn’t know if I was going to like it or it was going to be useful to me.

I used it for the first time the next day and it was wild. It was so weird having this moving object in my mouth. It felt nothing like the $5 throw away versions. It was very powerful and made an interesting vibrating noise as it touched my teeth. The literature that came with it said that the first twelve times that you used the toothbrush it would work on a slower level to let your teeth and mouth get used to the sensation. I am glad that they included that feature. The instructions also recommended brushing for two minutes and that the toothbrush would beep every thirty seconds it indicate a quadrant change. I have not heard a beep yet, perhaps it is a user error?


How did I get such rotten teeth? I guess I have bad luck!

No comments:

RSS Subscribe