January 19, 2009

Patti Austin pays tribute to Ella Fitzgerald at the ISO

The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra has redeemed itself from the Christmas Show horror.

My friend MooreWrites invited me to see Patti Austin on Friday night. She invited me in retaliation of me requesting her presence at the live telecast of the Glenn Beck stage show in the fall. She grudgingly went with me but informed me that I would be requested to do some unknown activity in the future that I might not like, but I would be obligated to attend due to her having to endure Glenn Beck.

Her plan backfired because I really liked the show. I wasn't familiar with Patti Austin or Ella Fitzgerald, so I arrived with no preconceived notions. The show started with the band playing six classic songs. I enjoyed sitting there listening. I think music is so much more enjoyable in person and allows you to focus solely on that one activity. It allows me to shut off my brain and just exist in the moment.

After a twenty minute intermission the band came back and Patti Austin was introduced. She was very personable and entertained us with stories of Ella Fitzgerald and herself in between the songs. She almost had a little comedy routine going. I wasn't familiar with most of the songs that she sang and it was nice to experience something new, even though most of this music is about 80 years old. Moorewrites wrote a review of her experience here, and I think that it complements my story.

I am glad to have discovered this new entertainment at the ISO as well as found so many willing participants in experiencing it. The ISO has a special on their remaining concert tickets in 2009 and all seats are selling for $25 until 01/20/09. I was very excited because I LOVE a great deal. I have tickets to see the following four performances this spring and I hope that they live up to the Patti Austin concert:

February 20 - Biss performs Mozart
February 27 - Sounds of the City - Gershwin & Bernstein
March 20 - Beethoven's Eroica
March 28 - Cirque De La Symphonie

No comments:

RSS Subscribe