January 5, 2009

This Wonderful Life at the IRT

I finally went to see this play at the IRT on Sunday afternoon. I have season tickets and they are for the first or second Thursday of the show. Gretchen (the friend who I have the tickets with) had to cancel for our designated time and Sunday ended up being our fourth rescheduled date. BTW…Sunday was the last performance and we just barely were able to see it.

I am glad that we chose to purchase the season tickets. It has been nice to know what I am going to see as well as paying a good price when the tickets were offered. I think that the IRT has good productions as well as a variety of types of shows.

This production was based upon the Jimmy Stewart movie and basically retold the famous Christmas story. The play was told in a story telling format. It gave me the feeling of the older generations passing down stories to the children. There was only one actor who carried the entire show. I was impressed with his ability to capture our rapt attention for an hour and a half. The actor had good charisma with the audience as well as endurance, as he was quite physical throughout the show. One of the nice things about this show was that the actor was strong enough to bring forth an emotional connection with the audience (including me).

I enjoyed this production and it was a nice way to end the Holiday season.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe