July 28, 2010

Why do girls run away like scared rabbits?

Last Friday night I went to see my three adorable nieces in a production of Anne. They were super cute and I loved seeing them on the stage. However, another incident overshadowed the evening.

I arrived at the theater early so I could get us front row seats. As I walked in I turned to my right and I saw this guy that I briefly dated last year. I quickly turned around and fled the room. Eekk! I was a bit startled as this kind of thing doesn’t usually happen to me and I wasn’t sure of the correct protocol. I thought for a minute and I re-entered the room with my head pointed directly ahead and I quickly found a seat.

As I sat there I remembered that he worked for the school system and he video tapes these shows on the side. So he was there in an “official” capacity.

As I sat in my seat alone I was unsure what I should do with myself. I tried to read but I was too distracted the entire time. Finally, 20 minutes later my brother arrived and I had something to focus on. The play started and I focused on the show. Ok, sort of focused on the show as I was trying really really hard to remember the guys name. I had a nickname for him and that popped quickly into my head but not his actual name. About midway through the first act it finally came to me and I was able to stay focused on the show.

An hour later it was intermission and I decided that the best course of action was to sit in my seat quietly and pretend to be invisible. I seriously had to pee but there was not a chance of me walking through the auditorium. Everyone in my party exited the room and I was left alone with my full bladder worrying that he was going to come up and talk to me. Thankfully I was left to my own devises during intermission and the play started back up again without incident.

As the play concluded my natural inclination was to bolt out of the auditorium and run to my car but I couldn’t do that as I needed to see the three children and give them accolades and hugs. This took FOREVER. I mean FOREVER and the entire time my nervousness’s kept increasing. I walked out of the auditorium hugging one of the children and giving her my entire 100% attention and looking at her. This was much better than looking around and accidentally creating eye contact. I took this child to the bathroom with me and basically everywhere I walked around.

Lou and I finally ended up sitting in the auditorium front row again while we were waiting for the children to change their clothes. Guess what? He takes this time to come up to me and chat. I really thought I was safe. Damn, I wasn’t.

Everything was fine. Nothing too interesting happens in our conversation and this exchange only takes us about five minutes. I don’t know why I was so nervous to talk to this person. I wasn’t interested in him. I guess it was my way of avoiding an uncomfortable situation. After he left I looked over to my brother and he told me that I sounded very nervous. Duh! On the plus side my brother said the guy also sounded nervous. Score!

Will I ever learn to be more straightforward?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are straightforward when you want to be. If I recall correctly, you realized pretty quickly that it wasn't a love connection. But I believe he greeted you because he had to see if you had changed your mind about him and were ready for some R-O-M-A-N-C-E. He does have a job... you might want to reconsider. :)

RSS Subscribe