June 15, 2008

Fathers Day

So I don't have a father...or mother therefore, I don't really celebrate fathers day. I do have a brother who is a father so I decided to do something nice for him for his special day. He is currently on his honeymoon with Traci in the Caribbean and away from home. I had been watching his two cats, one is at my house (Sparks) and the other lives outside in his backyard (Wendy). I went over to his house today to feed Wendy and I decided it would be a nice of me to mow his lawn. BTW it is double the size of my lawn with many more obstacles. It is about 2:30 pm on Sunday afternoon and about 90 outside. I start in the front of the house and right away I drive the mower over some paper and it spit out of the mower all over his lawn. I was thinking that he probably wouldn't like that too much. After I clean up that mess I move on to the large backyard which is very daunting. As I started back there in a circle around the perimeter of the fence I come upon the swampy area. This is where the basement water is emptied out of a drainage hose into the middle of his lawn from a long white pipe. I didn't know what to do about the pipe so I decided to tackle that area first and it was wet and muddy. My feet kept getting stuck and there was mud all over my shoes, socks and the mower. I kept wondering if it was good for the mower to go through so much water...but I kept going as it was my brother mower and not mine. Buy the time I got done with that area I had mud all up and down my legs. I then proceed to finish the rest of the back yard while trying to go around the various objects back there...a trampoline, chairs sitting in the middle of the yard for no reason, and a wood swing set. It took me about an hour an a large amount of sweat but I completed the project. I was very proud of myself. I then thought I would trim the yard also. But I couldn't get the gas trimmer started..I tried for about 15 minutes, but it just wouldn't start. I felt like such a girl for not being able to get it started.

After I was done I went inside to get a drink of water and feed the cat and and I then noticed that Lou had an ant farm on his kitchen counter. He left for his honeymoon last Saturday and there was a sink full of dishes...I just pretended that I didn't see them every other time I had come over. Now I felt obligated to do something as there were ants everywhere. I couldn't find any bug spray so I found a bottle of 409 and drenched the area. The ants did stop moving. I then decided that I had to do the dishes and clean off the counters to remove the ant corpses. While doing the dishes I discovered the reason for the ants...two glasses and a picture that had remnants of red cool-aid.

So I hope my brother appreciates his fathers day gift!

3 comments:

ems said...

I think that was a great gift :-) You're a better woman than I am. I would have thrown in the towel at "swampy area." :-)

Anonymous said...

Fun adventure in backyard. I would've quit too. I don't really do yard-work. I might have to create my own blog!

Laurie said...

You always have some kind of adventure in every activity you do. This blog is definately a good idea for you! I like hearing your stories, you should write a book!

RSS Subscribe