September 24, 2008

Crazy about a book!

I have been acting crazy these last three days since I started and finished a new book. This book had been recommended to me by a couple different people and on Saturday night my sister-in-law loaned me her copy. I looked at it and thought “This could be good?” but I knew I had to finish this other non fiction book for my monthly book club meeting on Wednesday evening. So Sunday during the day I plodded along with my book club book (I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage by Susan Squire). I think that this book is ok but it is dense, dry and a bit hard to read. This is the reason that I am still not finished reading this 200 page book in three weeks.

I have also come to the realization lately that I am not a fast reader. I used to have the perception that since I loved to read and that because I read so much I must be fast. I had a realization last night that I just don’t read that fast. I wish I was faster but then I wouldn’t retain the information.

So, back to the new book. I picked it up on Sunday night at 10:30 and I though I would just read the first few chapters to see if I would like it. The next thing I knew I had read the first 150 pages and it was 2:00am and I had to go to bed. I went to bed thinking about the book and reliving its imagery. On Monday night after I finished my evening’s activities, dinner, The Big Bang Theory and Dancing with the Stars it was 10:45 and I again picked up the book. I thought I am only going to read until midnight and then I will go to sleep. About 1am I noticed how wet my checks were becoming; apparently my eyes were watering because I was so tired, yet I contained to read until 2am. I have now completed about 300 total pages of this book.

Tuesday comes around and again I am very busy after work going to the mall to exchange an item, mowing my lawn and watching the Gubernatorial debate. I am completely exhausted at this point and really need to sleep due to the deprivation in the last few days but I still decide to read more of my book with the promise to myself that I will go to bed at 11:30. I am not able to fulfill that promise and I don’t stop until 1:30am with only 100 pages left. I go to bed wishing I didn’t have to go to work the next day and could sleep in and finish the book, but I know that it cannot happen. I wake up at 6am to go to the bathroom and I decide to turn on my light and continue to read. If you know me at all you know that I am most defiantly not a morning person and I NEVER get up early. I stayed on my bed eating cookies for breakfast because I couldn’t take the time to cook something until I finished the book. I finally finished the book at 7:45am and got ready for work.

I am not sure why I went so crazy except that I loved the story. I used to do this type of thing when I was a teenager but I have not lost so much book self control in many years. But I have to take a break. There are 4 books in this series and I cannot allow myself to get the next book until I get a full night sleep. I still have to go to book club tonight with my head hung low because I didn’t finish that book.

So are you wondering what the name of this FABULOUS book is? It is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

ems said...

And now you're going to make the rest of us read it. I must say, your blog definitely made me anticipate the book more.

RSS Subscribe