August 19, 2009

I Won….I Won…I Won

I participated in a weight loss and activity challenge that my company sponsored over the last ten weeks and I WON second place. I am so very excited about my accomplishment. Yes, I am bragging!

The program was designed to incorporate more activity into your daily life, while also being rewarded for weight loss. Every activity had to be converted into steps via a standardized chart I obtained from a website. There was a maximum amount of 70,000 steps that each person could earn each week, but there was two opportunities for bonus steps. The first way was to attend a Wednesday lunch time 30 minute walk. The leader of the walk wore a pedometer and the final tally of steps were allowed above your maximum steps each week. Secondly, there was a designated activity each week that you could participate in that would allow you steps above your maximum. Each week it was different as to try to reach a variety of people and interests. Some examples were house cleaning, tennis (I asked a friend to play tennis this week, but she ignored my text), walking, swimming and bike riding. I cleaned up on the bike riding week. That week gave me an opportunity to even the playing field for the walkers/runners who got tons of steps that week.

There were two sets of winners for this challenge, Jackpot and Wellness. The Jackpot participants paid a $10 entrance fee and were allocated a larger percentage of the company funds. The wellness participants did not pay a fee and were allocated a smaller percentage of the pot.

The weight loss component of the challenge stated that every pound lost would gain you 20,000 extra steps. There was only two weigh in’s during this challenge, one the first week and one at the end. I lost a total of 9.5 lbs in this ten week period and it allotted me an extra 190,000 steps.

I have been on the wellness committed for the last year and a half at work, I have participated in every quarterly challenge, and this was the first time that I have ever placed. I am so proud of myself. The second thing is I beat one of the most athletic people in our company. There was a possibility that I might have gloating a bit today ;) I am not sure he was too happy about that. In the ten week challenge I accumulated a total of 1,031,267 steps.

1,187,250 1st Jackpot
1,031,267 2nd Jackpot
822,884 3rd Jackpot
769,442
516,376
426,656
103,205
26,343
16,192

1,019,645 1st Wellness
398,453 2nd Wellness
203,807 3rd Wellness
120,000
79,690
75,703
19,902

This is how the steps worked out for the participants of the challenge. I am so glad that I worked so hard toward this challenge this summer.

Yea to Biking….that is what helped me win the $138.

PS…I did take my brother out to lunch to celebrate today. Ok…I might have owed him a lunch….but still…I did pay for his.

4 comments:

zlionsfan said...

Congratulations! It's always good to place well in a competition, particularly one that is health-related, and of course when you lose weight then you are really winning in two ways.

ems said...

Woo Hoo!! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

If you give your bike riding so much credit for wining then you can take your winnings off the cost of your bike!!

Lou

Moore said...

Hey,
It is great that you earned 2nd place in the challenge. Oh, and if you had asked me to play tennis, I would have.

RSS Subscribe