August 5, 2009

Purple Rain


While I was at work today I decided to listen to Princes breakthrough album Purple Rain. It is funny how you can listen to music from your past and it brings back so many memories. This was the first "Album" (An actual album...not a CD or Cassette tape) that I ever owned. I actually acquired it at the same time as a Twisted Sister's album that included "Smoking in the Boys Room". I believe that I was in the fifth grade when I learned to love music.

I listened to this album allot. Seriously...everyone in my family was sick of it. I have owned multiple copies of this through the years. I know I owed it several times on cassette tape and later on CD. I would ware them out.

I usually listen to music in album form and very rarely use the shuffle feature. So I was very familiar to this album while I was listening and the progression of songs it included. When it got to the song "Darling Nikki", I had a special smile come to my face as I remembered how my friends and I knew (ummm...I still know) all of the words to this song and how BAD ASS we felt by singing these controversial lyrics. BTW...this was one of the songs that spurred the movement to create the parental advisory labels we now see on CD's

As I finished listening to this song I expected the album to be over and I was a bit surprised when the next tune started. Then it hit me. Duh...when I owned the album it did end and you had to flip it over to side two. Such a revelation, I couldn't imagine having to flip my IPOD over. Most of the music that is currently on my IPOD I never owned in album form. I wouldn't think that it is over until I had listened to all of the songs. I have only had the classic album experience a few times in my life when I was fairly young.

So thank you Prince for giving me so many great childhood memories and happy 25th anniversary on the release of Purple Rain. BTW...the anniversary was June 25, 2009 the day of Farrah and Michael's tragic demise.

Please reminisce with me over these classic songs:

Side one
"Let's Go Crazy" – 4:39
"Take Me with U" – 3:54
"The Beautiful Ones" – 5:13
"Computer Blue" – 3:59
"Darling Nikki" – 4:14


Side two
"When Doves Cry" – 5:54
"I Would Die 4 U" – 2:49
"Baby I'm a Star" – 4:24
"Purple Rain" – 8:41

2 comments:

Moore said...

I never owned this album but I thought the songs were good. EVERYONE in my school (but me) were obsessed over this album and everything Prince-related. They went around doing the goofy "I will die 4 U" hand signs, dressing like Apollonia and quoting Morris Day (What time is it?). Part of the reason, my strict somewhat highbrown school played only music from the 1950s (Chantilly Lace, anyone?) during mixers was because I believe they thought Prince was either the devil or a close associate.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I so love him. And this album.
This is one of my favorite blogs. Love the others too, but this one is FAB

NE

RSS Subscribe