October 21, 2009

Personal Training

A couple of weeks ago I told you about an opportunity I had to do some group personal training with some co-workers. I paid $75 for 4 weeks however, I am only able to attend 3 of the weeks. This leaves the cost of the training to $25 per session. At first I was excited about this new opportunity as well as a perceived inexpensive cost.

I have been very disappointed in this service. I think sometimes I try to spend too much time pleasing others and not enough time getting the value out of my service dollars. The training has been very lackluster for me. He has never challenged me or even made me break a hard sweat. Each week when I was done I knew I was capable of giving so much more. I realize that every exercise session doesn’t need to be hard core but I feel that personal training is where I need to be hard core. I don’t want someone who is mean but someone who will push me beyond what I would normally do. He never pushed me.

After I had completed my second session of training I looked at my heart rate monitor and it said that I burned 250 calories in an hour. SERIOUSLY! I swear that is what my body burns sitting at my desk. I find that unacceptable. I burn more than that walking at a leisurely pace on the Monon. I am evaluating this service because on Tuesday night I went back to trainer Mandy’s group personal training class and she kicked my ass! I know I had worked hard when I had left that class as well as received my money's worth. PS...my legs and butt still hurt.

I feel that going to Push has given me a such an education in proper body placement and form for calisthenic moves. As well as knowledge of the types of strength exercises I should be doing. I don’t feel that the work trainer guy did that for me. He would take about 7 minutes to explain a simple move and then he wouldn’t correct peoples form while they were performing the move. I feel that this is very important so you don’t hurt yourself as well as getting the most out of your workout.

I am so glad that I have learned so much from Push in the last six months. I don’t think I would have recognized the difference between a good or bad trainer when I have exercised in the past. Even though I am always money minded I never compared the cost of the two services before yesterday. The work guy’s cost is $25 per session or $18.75 if I had attend all four times. The group personal training at Push is only $12 per session. Duh…simple math. I paid for an individual session last night but next week I am going to purchase a six class pass for $72. I really think I need a twice a week hard core training with the rest of the days being lighter.

PS…I would like to note that I have decided against running the 5K. I found that it made my ankles hurt and I DID NOT ENJOY IT! I think that there are so many exercises that I enjoy why would I spend time on ones that I HATE! So…I will be walking the 5K. Perhaps in the future I will reevaluate this goal.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe