October 15, 2009

"The strong-minded overcome the weak-minded!"

A few weeks ago I was listening to a podcast (How Stuff Works) and at the end of the podcast one of the commentators said my now infamous quote:

"The strong-minded overcome the weak-minded!"

As soon as I heard him say the quote it immediately appealed to me. I quickly wrote it down. There has been much conversation about this new tag-line that now appears on my outbound emails. Some of it involved me become an evil queen and controlling the world. Other people were worried that I was becoming a dictator or a cult leader. We finally determined that I wouldn't be a good fit in any of those categories (primarily because I would not be able to control my minions) but I think it fits me nonetheless.

I was thinking about this today when I was emailing a friend about my goal of running a 5K. I have been having some reservations of my physically ability to complete this task. Every day that I work on my running I think about quitting. The logical part of my brain doesn't want to quit but the emotional part yells to me "YOU ARE FAT AND SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING".

I was watching "The Biggest Loser" this week and one of the contestants was having a mental block that wouldn't allow her to jump up on this one foot high platform. Every time you saw her it appeared that she wasn't really trying. The fear was holding her back. I think I feel the same way. I really don't think that I will ever be able to run 3.1 miles. It seems an impossible task so why would I spend time trying.

This is where my quote comes into play. I have to approach this with my "Strong-Mind" and not my "Weak-Mind". I know that a good portion of my battle with this new challenge is going to be mental. I also have some physical obstacles to overcome. I need to work on my cardio fitness. I still get very winded and my heart rate skyrockets after one minute of running and logically I know that I just need to work on conditioning my heart. Secondly, I am having some discomfort from the ankle that I sprained in May. I was in some pain today and I had to downplay my training today. UGG...

Does anyone have any advise for me. Are there any tricks to conditioning my heart. I should tell you that I am currently working out six days a week. I usually alternate my exercise days with hard and easy workouts. This is an example of what I have done in the last week.


Friday - Day Off
Saturday - 60 Minute Walk
Sunday - 60 Minute walk/run Intervals - 60 Minute Horseback riding
Monday - Group personal training Class - 60 Minutes
Tuesday - 35 Minute running/walking intervals
Wednesday - 60 Minute walk
Thursday - 30 Minute Personal Training

Any advise or encouragement on how to overcome my mental weakness would be appreciated as I am struggling with this goal.

5 comments:

ems said...

I think the only trick to conditioning your heart is cardio, cardio and more cardio. It sounds like you're not against the idea of exercise, it's just a mental block to overcome.

I know you can do this. And I will help you out any way I can. Feeling low on willpower one night? Call me! If I get out of class early, maybe we could even walk/jog together. Weekends I will always do the training with you.

I never think I can't do something... and I have the same faith in you. That's another reason why I can't wait to eat that burger with you. I know it's just jogging a 5K, but just think, after that you'll know that you can do anything you set your mind to!

(And I totally think you're trying harder at this 5K than the girl on the BL was trying to jump on that block. BEND YOUR KNEES WOMAN!!!)

Anonymous said...

Have you tried using an elliptical machine? I think it would help with
your heart rate and would help with conditioning for running.

LK

Anonymous said...

I read your blog this morning. I like your saying. It keeps your mind in check. You are really in to this fitness. Keep up the good work. What will you do when it is too cold to run and ride? I workout better outdoors.

LL

Moore said...

My belief is everyone cannot do everything. However, with that said, you certainly can run a 5k. I'm not saying you will come in first place but you can accomplish it. I enjoy walking so anytime you want to do that again, just let me know. Also, remember we need to fit in time for our 50-yard dash.

zlionsfan said...

Be careful. It is very easy to overdo it, particularly if you are doing something you haven't done before. You don't want to find yourself unable to work out for a couple of weeks ... or longer.

You can do it. It will be difficult, it will require more effort than you may want to give, and it may seem impossible at times, but you can do it.

RSS Subscribe