October 2, 2009

I have a Goal

There were three goals that I set for myself at the beginning of summer.

A. Ride a 26 mile marathon on my bike
B. Riding up Riley hill at Crown Hill without stopping
C. Have an Odometer reading of 500 miles on my bike at the end of summer

I accomplished the 26 mile marathon easily and the longest I have rode is 42 miles. I have also exceeded my odometer reading and it is currently about 650 miles (I am still a little amazed at the amount). Just so you know...summer will not be over for my bike until there is snow and ice on the ground! I have not accomplished the ride up the hill, but to be honest I haven't worked on that one very much. We stopped going to the cemetery very often because it ceased to be challenging.

I was thinking of this because I am getting ready to set myself a new goal. We are preparing to start another fitness challenge at work and it involves participating in a 5K walk. They have found a training program online that is supposed to take an inactive person from the couch to jogging a 5k in 9 weeks.

When this challenge was first discussed a couple months ago I shrugged it off as something I wouldn't participate in as I don't really like to walk. However, in the last month I have realized given the right circumstances I do like to walk and I find it a relaxing activity. I attribute this to three things:

A. I am in better shape now that I have been in forever due to the biking passion
B. Great company while exploring the area parks
C. Any outside activity interests me

I have decided that in addition to participating in the 5K, I want to jog it. Seriously, I want to try and jog 3.4 miles. I KNOW....Crazy Right. I wouldn't have said that 3 months ago. I would have laughed and said you are out of your mind. But, something has changed inside of my brain and I think I may have a chance of accomplishing this goal. The early summer goals were so easy for me to accomplish and they seemed daunting when I set them. I think that half of the battle is attitude and the second half is putting in the training work.

To be honest I do like working out. Some would say that I am getting a bit of a big head about fitness, but that quickly goes away when I hang out with an athletic person. However, it is good for me to hang out with the athletic people because they challenge me.

The training will begin on October 12, 2009. The training is comprised of a three day a week program that begins with baby steps of jogging. I have two friends who are interesting in participating in this with me. Is anyone else interested in participating or training with me?

I might need some encouragement in this new goal so the next time you see me ask me if I have been doing my training.

PS...this is how my brain works...if I say I am going to do something and it is widely known...it is hard for me to back out of it.

4 comments:

zlionsfan said...

I won't be joining you ... I've run 5K before, but I'm older now and much less fond of running.

But I will ask you how you're doing and encourage you.

Also, 5K is more like 3.1 miles ... you can always do the extra work if you want, though. :)

I think you've done very well with yuor goals so far, and it's important to remember that you can do just about anything you want if you are willing to put in the work. (The "just about" qualifier is for people like ems. All of us do have limits ...)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. You go girl!!!
You can do it.


NE

Candace said...

Is anyone really fond of running? I will come back to this in nine weeks.

Candace said...

I don't think you are crazy. I know you will jog it and you will jog it far faster than you ever expect too. Just let me know and I will train with you. Maybe we could do combo training with a bike ride on the monon or something. Right now I am sick, but soon I will recover and be back on track. When is the run? I remember you saying before, but I remember thinking it would be cold and I am a wimp as I get older, but I could probably do it.


GH

RSS Subscribe