March 18, 2010

Difficult Cat Decision

I want to get a new cat.  I think it is time for me to have a cute and cuddly little kitten.  I have been thinking about this idea for the last month and I think I am ready for a new pet.  I found out this week that a co-worker's cat recently had adorable little kittens eight weeks ago.  She showed me some photos and there is a pretty little girl that wants to go home with  me.  Ok…I don’t know if she is a girl but that is what I envision.  Upon looking at the photos I told her I would love to take one home with me. 

I went back to my desk and discussed this exciting news with two friends.  They cautioned my excitement and enthusiasm with a cold splash of reality.  There are several factors to consider when deciding to get a new pet.  The most important one has to do with the possibility that the new cat could be a feline leukemia carrier.  Kittens need to be vaccinated at 9 weeks and 12 weeks (thanks to Ems for this info) to be fully inoculated against passing that disease onto Sparks.  In my usual manner, I want to ignore this information and think that nothing bad is going to happen to Sparks and everything will be ok when I bring the new little kitty home.  After a day and a half of reality I realize that might not be my best course of action so I have come up with a list of some alternatives. 

Let me know what you think is the best option for little Jadzia?

1.        Do nothing and not get a new kitten.
2.       Throw caution to the wind and think that Sparks is invincible.
3.       Bring home little Jadzia and keep her quarantined in the spare room for 4 long weeks.  Between the roommate and me I don’t think that this is an entirely feasible solution.  I know I wouldn’t be able to stand having one of them locked in a room.
4.       Keep Jadzia at the host parents house until he has had both inoculations.  I haven’t even asked the co-worker if this was a feasible option yet.
5.       Pay $100 to get a fully vaccinated kitten at the Humane Society.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you already fell in love with the kitten, you named it?

AL

zlionsfan said...

I think you know what I would recommend.

Anonymous said...

Did you price the vaccinations? It may not be much more than $100-$120 for both vaccinations. Then it would be over with. (However, spaying and declawing, if you choose, will be additional down the road.) I think that rescuing a kitten is what is most important should you take that one or choose option 5. I do raise an eyebrow about the name, though. Say what?

BK

Anonymous said...

Option 5, it will be fixed too!

ems said...

Um, I can do the vaccs and have it fixed for WAAAAAAAY less than $100. All you need is some patience and some self restraint.

A 12 week old kitten would be completely safe to bring into your home after all vaccinations. Just have patience. Srsly. I do not see the dilemma.

Anonymous said...

My vote is for Classic and csrulebreaker
or candygirlatyourservice
LOL
just kidding about second one

NE

RSS Subscribe