March 15, 2010

Fanciful Idea

I have had several conversations with my friends lately about possible career choices outside of the accounting field.  Every time I think about a possible option I dismiss it as being too fanciful or to poorly paid or I am severely under-qualified.  But today I came up with a brilliant idea.  Ok...it wasn't altogether my idea but it was pretty good.

I was talking to a friend I used to work with and we both participated on the weight loss committee at work.  Actually, she was the one who implemented the weight loss program at my current employer.  We were an excellent team and we both made progress in the work challenges.  She had an idea that we could start our own business.  The business would travel around to various companies teaching them how to implement and run their own employee run weight loss programs.  This sounded like something I would be good at.  I know how to do accounting, I know how to talk to people, I know how to organize activities and see the big picture and this is something that I could be passionate about.  We had a great time talking this idea through, but we always come up with the same problem.  We are both still fat! 

How could we advise companies on weight loss programs when we can't get ourselves together.  We like to think that people are more evolved but I know it isn't true.   Realistically, I don't think I would want to own my own business.  The uncertainty would make me crazy.  So I think I will house this idea on the fanciful shelf.  Perhaps one day I will take it down, shake it out and put it to good use.  In the mean time I will make up some really great daydreams about it;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is an awesome idea. But I do think, unfortunately, that some companies may likely have the same question or concern RE weight loss and the presenters. I wouldn't let that stop me though because many would be inspired by your process and commitment and be very supportive and loyal. It makes you more relatable and relevant. :-)

NE

zlionsfan said...

Before I give you feedback, I just want to say that you should keep this up. Brainstorming. Keep throwing things at the wall until you find one that sticks. It doesn't matter how many ideas you have that don't work out: when you get the one that does, it'll make all the others worthwhile.

I'm sure you would be good at the implementation (of weight-loss programs at companies), but I'm not so sure this is something you could do for a living. After all, you're doing it for free at work, right?

And if a company is willing to pay for advice, it would have to be one that isn't already working with them on an overall health program. (And if companies wouldn't pay you much, well, how much money would you be able to make ... or conversely, how much time would you have to spend to make a decent salary?)

The thing about a successful business is that it has to meet a need for which people are willing to pay, and the pay has to match the time you need to invest with the customer and the salary you want to earn. It would be like me teaching sports appreciation classes ... I could explain basic football strategy, hockey statistics, basketball history, all that, but who'd pay for it, and would they pay enough to make it worth my while? Probably not. Great pastime, yes. Great career, no.

RSS Subscribe