March 9, 2010

Random Stories

I went to dinner on Friday night with a group of ladies from my meetup.com group. There were two women whom I met for the first time, one women whom I would consider an acquaintance and another who is a friend. Dinner was delicious but the evening had a very weird vibe to it. I decided early on that I really didn't like one of the women. Her mannerisms and her speech bothered me and her conversation topics were uninteresting. I don't remember what we were talking about, but towards the end of the evening the women grabbed her phone and began to try to find something on it. She brought up some pictures and handed the phone to our end of the table and told us to scroll through them. I was shocked to discover that these were pictures of naked women with giant breasts. WTF!!! Why would she pass this around to a table of women she just met. Can you say awkward? We tried to give the phone back after we saw the first picture but she insisted that we kept scrolling through them. There ended up being about 3 or 4 pictures of naked women with fake breasts and one of a man with a abnormally large penis. After this incident I decided I couldn't wait for the evening to end and so could go home and play Oblivion. It took forever to finish things up and pay our bills, but I did call my friend as I was driving home and we laughed over this incident for 10 minutes. Outrageous!!!

I made up a limerick about the evening (I am aware that it doesn't exactly rhyme but I still found it amusing).

I went to a Meetup dinner
the food was not bitter
out came a phone
that should have been left at home
because it contained some raunch

I went to see Romeo and Juliet at the IRT a couple of weeks ago and a disgusting thing happened while I was there. It was the end of the play and Juliet's contemplating taking the vile of magic drug that will make her appear dead for two days. The stage is dark and her tone is serious then all of a sudden we hear something akin to a drink spilling on the floor. I look over to my right and I see some commotion and then I hear it . The sound of someone vomiting. The person was located on the other side of the theater and you could see them moving. Remember there is an extremely important and moving scene on the stage but all attention is on the person vomiting. A women comes in and ushers the sick person and family out of the theater and then moves the people in the row directly behind them the empty seats at the back of the theater.

The commotion dies down and I try to refocus my attention on the play but I keep glancing over and I see the people in the nearest row using their shirts to cover their noses and making gagging noises and faces. I really tried to ignore them but I couldn't. I just kept looking over. Then about five minutes later I started to focus on the play again when a manager guy comes in with what looks like a giant baggie and proceeds to clean up the mess. Again distracted Candy. I don't believe that the remaining portions of the play ever got my full attention. I just couldn't stop giggling in my head. Someone vomited in the theater. Gross!

Now for my shiny eyed musings. This was one of the best productions of Romeo and Juliet I have ever witnessed. They changed the setting to be 1940 racially charged America. The Montague family was an affluent black family and the Capulet family was an affluent white family. They did an extremely great job of adapting the familiar story to this new setting. They still utilized much of Shakespeare's original script and anything they added was written in traditional Shakespearean style. Bravo! I am not a huge Shakespeare's fan mostly because if not done well, the language confuses me. But, this version was outstanding and kept me enthralled the entire time (except for the vomiting).

2 comments:

ems said...

I can't believe you published the limerick.

Anonymous said...

I just could not understand why she would show something on her phone that I can see in the mirror every single day....well, except mine are not fake. I am so glad I missed the last photo...that image would have shocked me.

RSS Subscribe