March 22, 2010

IPod Dilemma

Last week I was worried about my cat and this week I am worried about my new IPod.  I know I have been talking about this purchase forever and many of you think I should just buy it already, but I want to make sure I am getting the best deal and the exact product that I want. 

For a long time I believed that I wanted the IPod Touch.  This fantastic devise is exactly like and IPhone without the phone part.  It has access to the entire application store and there are some very cool games (Peggle anyone?) that can be played on it.  It seemed to suite my desire for an IPhone without me having to switch carriers.

Then I began to think about getting a new phone.  My current phone (Samsung Instinct) worked great as my introductory smart phone.  But, I have had it with this ill working devise.  The on screen keyboard doesn’t work properly anymore and you are likely to get and X instead of a space in-between words.  Today, I was using it to view Facebook and I was trying to look at a comment on my own post and I managed to hit the “like” button  after trying to hit the comment button 20 times.  I look stupid “liking” my own post. I am pretty sure what I want my new phone to be “HTC Hero” and after thinking about it, I realized that this phone will handle my desire for applications and increased functionality.

So this takes me back to my first desire for a new IPod.  If I get the HTC Hero I really will not need all of the functionality that is available on the IPod touch.  I am a frugal person and I always want to get the best product for my money.

IPod Touch          32GB      $299
IPod Classic        160GB     $249

I get four times as much memory for $50 less when I purchase the classic version.  Already this is sounding more attractive.  My current music collection takes up about 18GB and I have some movies and TV shows that take up an additional 20GB.  Right now I am not able to sync all of my content and it would be nice to have everything back on one place.  Also, just thinking about all of my future music purchase makes me want to get the bigger hard drive.

Then there is the second dilemma with the IPod.  The above prices represent the cost on the Apple website and that prices includes personalized engraving.  If I purchase either product on Amazon there is a substantial savings except that there will be no engraving.   Both companies offer free shipping.  Is the engraving worth $24 or $36?

IPOD Touch        32GB      $262.54 ($36.46 less)
IPod Classic        160GB     $224.54 ($24.46 less)

I know I will have this product for several years and use it daily. Having it engraved will make it more special to me and personalized.  I will probably purchase a case for this IPod and I will rarely see the engraving.  However, knowing it is there will make me happy.  I currently have two ideas on what I would like engraved on my IPod. 

csrulebreaker

Or

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Either of these two things will work for me.  Does anyone have any other ideas?


So the three basic questions are:

Should I get the IPod Touch or the IPod Classic?
Should I purchase it from Apple or Amazon?
What should I get engraved on the back if I choose that option?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ipod classic. Long term you will be happier with more memory. You will never see the engraving anyway. Get it from amazon. Or look in the ads. A lot of times you can get a free itunes card from detail stores.

Lou

Anonymous said...

Go for the IPod Classic w/o the engraving. I think of engraving being used
on a gift to someone. Also, think about if you decide to upgrade again in
a couple of years to whatever new technology we have then, would you want
to resell it? Would you want someone else to have your engraving? What
mp3 player do you currently have?

LK

zlionsfan said...

Something to keep in mind is that if you get it engraved and anything ever happens to it, it will take longer to get a replacement (because the replacement would have to be engraved too).

Can you get that many words engraved on it? I was under the impression you were restricted to something much shorter.

I'm not sure I understand the idea behind saving $50 to get more memory and then spending nearly half of it (or more) for something you will never see. I would recommend putting the money into accessories or music rather than engraving.

Moore said...

I believe you might want to reconsider using the word frugal to describe yourself. Apple has quite the racket going on..and I say that even though I adore my (secondhand) iPhone. I say get the one you most prefer, Big Money C. :)

ems said...

Get the classic. For what you need it for, the classic is the obvious choice. The touch is less about music and more about fun apps.

And go ahead and splurge on the engraving. I agree with z, I'm pretty sure you can't get so many words. So if you can't find something within the parameters, then just go without. I will say that I love my engraving, though. It makes me happy each time I see it. Even on the boy's nano.

I just deleted the last paragraph that I had in here. You and z would be so proud.

RSS Subscribe