February 3, 2009

Sledding Adventure at Fort Ben Harrison State Park

I convinced my brother, his wife and four of his children to go sledding with me on Saturday afternoon. I just thought that it would be a perfect way to spend the afternoon. I wanted to go to Fort Ben Harrison State Park because they have this fabulous gigantic hill.





The hill was fairly busy when we arrived and quite crazy. There were no rules! There was a path on either side of the hill that was textured a bit to make it easier for the long climb, and I was out of breath every time I reached the top. This is a photo of Lou and Paige (she is wearing the pink snow pants) making the arduous climb.

When we first arrived and were waiting at the top for our turn we saw a horrible accident. There was a kid about six years old standing at the bottom of the hill and he was facing away from the hill and the sledders. Then this other kid gets on top of his sled and zoomed down the hill. We all watched in horror as he gained speed and SMACKED into the kid. The kid flew up in the air and over the sledder onto his back. The parent was at the top of the hill and saw it all happen. I think that the kid was OK, but it was funny and scary at the same time. We learned our lesson pretty early to keep a close eye on the crazy sledders.

This is Paige and I getting ready for the long descent. I was fairly scared the first time I went down, I didn't want to hit anyone or anything. I kept my feet off the sled as we went down to use them as brakes so I wouldn't go too fast. The side effect was that I would kick snow up on to our faces the entire ride. I don't think it was the brightest idea.



I never did get cold when I was outside for two and a half hours even though it was in the 20's. I wore an enormous amount of clothing. I had on a pair of sweet pants and then jeans. I had on a t-shirt, a sweat-shirt, and my jacket. I had on two pairs of socks as well as my running shoes. I thought that I would get better traction with my running shoes rather than my boots. I also had on two scarves, my hat and gloves. I even think that took off some of the layers at one point.
This is a photo of Sarah and I chilling at the top of the hill waiting for our turn on the sleds. You can see all of the snow accumulated on my scarf.




This is Lou and Paige preparing for their ride. He is a daredevil and he liked to go super fast.


We had a complete BLAST! I am glad that we went on this little adventure.



1 comment:

ems said...

Where's the post about this past weekend? I've been patiently waiting... :-)

RSS Subscribe