February 14, 2009

Trip to Columbus

When I first moved to Indianapolis I got a job from a temporary agency working at a bank downtown. While working there for two months I learned that my boss commuted everyday from Columbus . I thought this was strange and it seamed very far away, she even told me that it only took 45 minutes for her to drive downtown everyday. I was confused until I discovered that she meant Columbus Indiana , a place that I didn’t know existed until that moment. All along I assumed she meant Columbus Ohio , because that is the Columbus that I was familiar with. So I went on a trip to Columbus last weekend, and to clear up any confusion I mean Columbus Ohio , not Columbus Indiana .

When I went to NYC last summer I saw the musical Spring Awakening and I was super excited to discover a few months later that they were going on tour. I was sad to discover that the tour wasn’t coming to Indiana and the closest location was Columbus . I decided to get some of my friends together for a weekend road trip to see my favorite Broadway Musical. We headed out on Saturday morning at 10 am for the three hour car ride to the hotel I chose in Columbus .

After arriving and settling into our hotel we decided to take a tour of downtown and ended up parking and walking around the art district of their city. The section of town had a similar feel as the Broadripple area with small local shops and restaurants. We wondered around for a bit and ended up in a local dining establishment (The Burgundy Room) for a cheese tasting and a beverage. The ambiance was nice and the restaurant had these great circular booths with circular chandeliers above. It was very visually appealing to me. After our break we toured a small art gallery and enjoyed some small boutiques. I bought a stylish new purple bag that I love and it was even on sale for 30% off.

Moorewrites was in charge of picking out our evening meal and she was successful in picking out a great location. She chose Lindey's Restaurant which is a local steak house. I ordered the duo of steak option and every bite in my mouth felt like heaven. The service was wonderful, when we sat down the server noticed what color pants we wore, and exchanged out the white napkins for black for those of us wearing black trousers. I thought it was a nice touch and none of my well traveled companions had ever experienced this luxury.

After dinner we headed off to the Palace Theatre Columbus to see Spring Awakening. When I was growing up I would often hear radio advertisements for concerts and activities at the Palace Theatre and I never had the opportunity to go, so it was exciting to me to go as an adult. There was tons of people milling about which caused the atmosphere to be very excited. I was so happy to be in the seat to see my favorite show again. However, I was a bit disappointed. This experience was a bit different than my first. First of all I had NO celebrity citing…ok that isn’t important…but the play didn’t impact me the same way it had when I was in NYC. The location in NY was very small and intimate and I had a front row seat, the Palace Theatre was gigantic and it held loads more people. The actors did a great job and the singing was terrific but somehow it was lacking. I guess I was anticipating it too much…but I still love the music.

After the play we ended up at an Applebee's near our hotel for dessert and drinks. While we were there NM made friends with the server who suggested a local Towny bar we should try out. It was defiantly a local place. There was load music and a dance floor and about 100 people inside. We found a table and I got a drink and I proceeded to people watch the rest of the night. Some of my friends went dancing and had fun letting loose. I held back as it makes me nervous to dance. There were a few couples on the dance floor engaging in some serous foreplay. There was also a lesbian couple dancing together having a great time being totally engaged with each other. They seamed oblivious to the rest of the place. It was funny how you could tell the difference between the lesbian couple and the various women dancing together. We stayed till last call at 2am and then went back to the hotel.

We had two connecting rooms for the five of us and it was nice to have all of the space and be able to interact with each other like we were in the same room. About an hour after we went to bed NM came into our room and crawled into bed with KG because there was a snoring problem in the next room. I was oblivious to this until the next morning. There was even people in and out of our room to use the bathroom while I was sleeping and I was completely unaware. I find that very odd that I wouldn’t notice.

We checked out of the hotel at 11am and went to Easton Town Center mall to check it out. It is a large outdoor mall similar to the one in Carmel except much larger. We meandered around and one of the places we went into was the C.O. Bigelow Company store. This is a fairly girly store that sells cosmetics, lotions and various body items. When I was at the checkout counter moorewrites saw me and said; “Candy…are you finally getting girly on us? What are you buying?”. So in this gigantic girly store the two items I chose to purchase were mouthwash and toothpaste. She was flabbergasted at why I would choose those two items out of all of the options. Due to my various and extensive dental troubles I have become a connaisseur of dental hygiene products. That is just what I wanted and I like them very much.

The last stop before we headed home was the local Graeter's ice cream shop. The ice cream was delicious and my double scoop of chocolate and peanut butter was a great substitute for dinner. We headed out on the road about 5pm for our three hour trip home that speed by. We had interesting conversations about music and sampled many artists for our various IPODS.

The only downer to this trip was the two unexpected costs associated with me driving. While we were parked on the street on Saturday I received a $25 parking ticket. Apparently, you must feed the meters there on Saturdays. I guess I am now aware of that stupid rule. The second thing is that when we were driving I hit some very large pot holes. This caused my muffler to make a loud vibrating noise. On Tuesday after I returned I took my car to the dealership to discover that I bent the heat plate on the bottom of my car and it needed fixed. This cost me $50...I was definitely bummed to spend $75 this way.

I had an excellent trip and it was nice to spend so much time with my friends and have interesting and lively conversations.

3 comments:

Moore said...

Wow, that pot hole caused a problem with the muffler? If that was the case, my muffler is probably full of dents. Oh, and I think she came into your room about 3 hours after you fell asleep.

Traci said...

I love that purse you bought. Purple is my favorite color!

ems said...

Snoring problem?

RSS Subscribe