July 8, 2009

Perception

I had an interesting conversation with Gwen (ex-sister-in-law) on July 4th while we were watching a fantastic display of private fireworks. We were talking and all of a sudden she brought up how different Lou and I are here in Indianapolis and how "well off we are". I was confused because I don't consider either of us well off. She was talking about how Lou's children get everything that they want. I stuck up for my tight A** brother and told her of the collection of parents that I know, Lou buys the least amount of stuff for his children and he rarely indulges them in out of the blue presents.

She disagreed with me and stated how when we were at Connor Prairie on Friday he bought the kids a ton of stuff. I was flabbergasted at this idea. My perception of the events at Conner Prairie were very different. Lou has a season family pass and it includes free entrance for two extra people. This allowed his entire family, me and two of Gwen's family free entrance to the park. She only had to pay one $12 admission because one of her children chose to stay at Lou's house and play the Wii all day. I thought this was a very cheap and economical way to spend the afternoon. BTW...my brother gave me crap because I wanted to use on the free admissions on me and not give it to Gwen. I figured I was the closer family member as well as the host to the entire weekend I was entitled to the free entrance.

While we were walking through the settlements the kids were whining that they wanted ice cream and popcorn and pop. He didn't indulge these ideas and utilized the drinking fountains for beverages. Then as we were exiting they went through the gift shop and used their allowance money to purchase some candy. I would say that they each spent about a dollar.

I find it fascinating how two people can have such different perceptions of a days events. I guess it is all about where you are coming from.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like she was searching and also hoping you would be on her side with more info. People never cease to amaze me.

GH

Moore said...

Perhaps she feels that compared to her, you and Lou are well-off.

RSS Subscribe