July 15, 2009

Tupperware Party

Do you ever find yourself in a situation that you just don't fit in? I don't think that happens to me very often, but when it happens, large green neon lights appear.

I was invited to a Tupperware party a couple weeks ago by a friend that I used to work with. She stopped working when she had her baby last year. Do you see the problem. I arrived at her party about 30 minutes late due to a delay at work, so things were underway when I arrived. I helped myself to a plate of food and sat on the couch to visit. I didn't know anyone at the party so I knew that I needed to be extra extroverted and make friends quickly. Most of the people at the party knew each other and had a basis for conversation with each other, so I sat and listened to them while I was eating. It soon became clear to me that I was missing an important factor in my life to fit in with the group. Children!

The conversation often centered around them. What they were doing, what they were wearing, what they were eating and how they were going to use the Tupperware products. I couldn't find a connection with anyone. They were all perfectly nice and friendly but I seemed unable to have a conversation. How unusual for me. I feel like I can talk to anyone and usually find something of common interest.

Everyone eventually left as I was finishing up my order and I don't think that I had a conversation with anyone except for the friend who invited me over. I am glad that I was invited and I got what I needed but it was an bizarre experience.

3 comments:

ems said...

I had this experience and a subsequent FREAK OUT after a Pampered Chef party when I was 24... I came home promised to do everything in my power to NOT end up like the women at that party.

So far so good :-)

We should throw our own party to sell something. Maybe sex toys. :-)

Candace said...

If you had the sex party I would come and bring my posse.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I didn't know people still had Tupperware Parties.

NE

RSS Subscribe