July 3, 2009

Biking Adventure

I have been reading two blogs recently and they have significantly increased my need for adventure. The first one is about Roz Savage and her adventures rowing her boat across the Pacific Ocean. I find this a scary and fascinating idea. I am willing to try most thing and I often throw caution out when I think of a great idea, but in none of my fantasies can I imagine traveling across the Pacific ocean in a row boat. It seems ludicrous! But I keep reading with fascination.

The second blogger is Ryan and he writes about running across Europe from Amsterdam to Athens. This is certainly an adventure that I could get into except that I really DON'T like to run! I really hardly like to walk places. But, biking is my passion.

Reading about these two people has made me wonder what kind of biking adventure I could have. As much as I enjoy riding about Indianapolis, I wonder where else I could ride. Could I plan a vacation to ride somewhere? Where could I go? Should I drive somewhere and then trek about? Should I pack everything that I would need on my bike and just go?

I would like to explore this idea more. Wouldn't it be awesome to take my new bike (I know....I know...I need to buy a new bike) on a trip across Europe next summer. What could I realistic afford? Could my body handle such a trip? How would I plan such a trip. Most importantly, who wants to go with me?

Tell me your thoughts on this idea.

4 comments:

zlionsfan said...

I would guess that you probably need to figure out what your limits are before you plan a Candy bike trip ... or ride until you reach the point where you'd be interested in that distance in another place. (For example, you get to where you can ride 50 miles, so now you know you could ride 50 miles in California, or New Zealand, or Spain. On similar terrain, that is.)

You will definitely have to understand the terrain where you're going before you commit to a long ride in unfamiliar territory, though.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely go with you. I wonder if we could rent bikes over there b/c how much would it cost to fly it with us?

GH

ems said...

I think perhaps a long distance bike ride in the US would be first. I have a friend who's riding from NYC to DC or something like that. You can search online for stuff like that. I think that would be a good first step.

Oh yeah - I would probably be in for that :-)

Candace said...

OK...perhaps I should look domestic first....I will investigate a trip in the USA. This could be great fun!

RSS Subscribe