June 29, 2009

Energy

I would like to tell you all the my energy levels have returned to normal today! I am so excited after feeling so lethargic the last three days. I don't like it when I feel so un-energetic. I want to do things and have fun every day. I am glad to have ME back.

I went on a 20 mile bicycle ride yesterday and Ems mentioned that she missed my enthusiasm. I missed it to. However, I find it astounding that I was able to go on a long ride feeling that way. Secondly, I am no longer having any side effects from such a long ride. My legs and butt were fine after the ride. I even went grocery shopping afterwords. I think that I need to add some challenge to these rides. Perhaps go faster? Or add some sprints or intervals? Ems did comment that my average speed has increased from 8.5 to 10 mph.

I had my 45 minute personal training session tonight. I think that I am beginning to really like it. I wish I could afford two sessions per week. I don't know how I am going to add it to my budget after my flex spending money runs out. I did 45 "big girl" push ups tonight. I was leaning on a bench that was about a foot from the floor, but I was not on my knees and I could push myself up and down. I was very excited at this progress.

I have relatives coming into town on Wednesday evening and I am sad that I am not going to have any bike riding time this weekend. So I have decided that I need to add some in on Saturday or Sunday. If any of my friends have time on Saturday or Sunday let me know because I think I will need the stress relief.

Concentration

I am not sure if any of you have noticed but I am easily distracted. I will be talking to you and all of a sudden my mind will wonder off in a different direction. While I am at work I often try to think of way too many things at one time. I think that I have made some strives to solve this problem. I think that using my energy for biking and exercising has allowed me a bit more focus. I feel that I have been less distracted by outside influences. What do you think? Have you noticed a change in this area?

3 comments:

ems said...

I'll be around Sunday for a ride if you want. Just let me know when and where.

I've not noticed a problem with your concentration. But then, maybe it's because I'm easily distracted too?

Anonymous said...

Hey girlfriend, good blog. So are you doing a trainer and a nutritionist or is holistic (total approach)? That is great, I am so proud of you. Why were you low on energy? I am probably available on Sunday for a ride if you want. I really need to ride my bike since I bought it at a yard sale for $20 and then put $100 in a tune up last year.

I would suggest adding sprints to your bike or when you are ready to invest get a 10 speed so you can adjust the resistance. Also I always suggest a heartrate monitor b/c then you can really see how you improve over time physiologically and get an idea of how many calories you are really burning.

GH

zlionsfan said...

I would agree that sprints and/or intervals will increase the effectiveness of your workout. Of course there are problems with that in our current environment: traffic has to lend itself to increasing your speed (in other words, running over small children or dogs in the name of fitness is not ok), and you'll see a linear increase in your speed rather than geometric or otherwise (because you have one gear).

I think riding to Hamilton Town Center would lend itself to sprints for a couple of reasons. One, it's much more flat than 146th west of 37, and two, there really aren't people on it, at least not during the week. It's right around 5 miles from my house (but we do have to go past the roundabout). That's close enough to sprint as much as you like and still make it to your destination.

When you get to the point that considering a multiple-speed bike makes financial sense, then we've got the other part of 146th; plenty of hills to sprint up and coast down.

RSS Subscribe