June 23, 2009

Daily Calories

Total Calories 1855

A few weeks ago I went to the doctor for an annual check up and she drew blood for a variety of tests. I got a call from the nurse last week saying some things that I already knew. My good cholesterol was a bit low and my bad cholesterol was a big high. No need to worry, but I need to keep an eye on it. She also suggested that I start taking fish oil pills. I still need to buy some but I have been procrastinating.

The other thing that she checked was my sugar levels. My first test came in a bit high at 118. She said that amount could be considered pre-diabetes. She wanted to recheck my level so I went into the doctors office on Monday morning for a repeat test. It came back fine and there was nothing to worry about.

But, the thing is my dad developed Type II diabetes in his 40's and I feel that I am right on track to follow in his footsteps. It always seems to be something I would want to ovoid and not know the answer to. I guess the doctor is on alert and will be checking me on a yearly basis. As much as I would like to blame this on genetics I would have to blame myself and my poor eating habits. Perhaps the blood draw was good on Monday due to my new found interest in healthy eating. I hope it is working.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, let me know if me telling you all the bad things that happens with diabetes will motivate you to help you on your journey. If not, I won't go there. It is one of the worst diseases you can get and it destroys all your blood vessels which leads to heart attacks, strokes, loss of limbs and vision. So please keep an eye on this. Stay strong. You did great today. Did you eat lots of veggies? How many fruits?

GH

Anonymous said...

It is in my family. My aunt who is 80 has had both legs cut off at the knee. She has adapted well to prosthetics and walks fine, but she has the strongest will of anyone I know. That would not be me. I know since it is in my family, I am at risk. I had my levels checked twice recently, and I am fine, but like you I know I need to make more changes to my eating habits to prevent it from showing up later.

Anonymous said...

That's okay. You know what to do to decrease your risk of diabetes. And you are on the right track. Unfortunately, genetics plan a huge role in high cholesterol and sometimes there is little (other than meds) that you can do about it.

NE

Anonymous said...

I have been taking fish oil pills everyday for a year now. I have the complete omegas. They are good for your hair, fair and nails too. I take many other supplements.

Andrea

RSS Subscribe