June 1, 2009

Chauvinism is still Alive in Wisconsin

I went on a trip to Wisconsin this weekend to see my niece graduate from high school. We stayed at a three star Marriott hotel that was very nice. The hotel staff was great for our duration and we enjoyed the hotel, until I began to check out. I had my own room and as we were leaving I went to the front desk to check out.

I walked up to the male desk clerk and told him my room number. He brought up my bill and I confirmed the extra charges from breakfast. Then my brother walked up to check out of his room. As soon as Lou walked up the desk clerk deferred all his remaining questions to Lou. He didn't look me in the face anymore, he only looked at Lou. He asked if we wanted to keep the charges on the same card and I responded yes. He asked several more questions while looking at Lou even thought I was the one answering the questions. Finally, Lou had to tell him he had his own room to check out. I think that this was ridiculous behavior. If I had stopped talking and had deferred to Lou it would have made sense that the clerk talk to him. But that wasn’t the case.

It is amazing to me that this is still happening.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you and I are different here. I would have politely and quietly said (the first time), "Excuse me, I was talking with you. Please refer your questions to me". The second time I would have been just a little louder (but not so the entire room could hear) and not so polite. If he continued, I would have quietly and polite ended the conversation and asked for the manager. Was this on your charge or Lou's? That could make a difference.

LL

Moore said...

I agree only I think if you use an authoritative tone in such an instance, he would have changed his behavior quickly, and then you would not have to get the manager involved. These situations occur not only with gender but also with race and most often I believe, with age.

Anonymous said...

wierd, you think he thought you were a couple? glad you had a good time.


CH

Anonymous said...

Wow, still an issue in 2009. This is incredible.

NE

Lou said...

I finally told him that this was her room and that I had my own check out. He wasnt looking at me only...He was looking at both of us equally. I think perhaps my sister is slightly over sensative to this type of situation. Perhaps its because she had spent the whole weekend with my other sister and her senses were hightened. :(

Candace said...

I disagree...he wasn't looking at us equally.

RSS Subscribe