June 15, 2009

Exercise Overload

I went a bit overboard on the exercise today. Let me start by saying that my sleep is all Fuc*ed up! I didn't go to bed on Sunday night until 3:30am. That is way too late for me. I worked all day and I was actually productive. Imagine that!

I then attended my first personal training class with Hadley. She was great and worked me very hard. She had me doing what seamed like an endless set of lunges. I think that they are evil. I felt good after our 45 minute session and then drove to meet ems and zlionsfan for a short bike ride. I think that short is a relative term. I traveled 15.3 miles and rode for 1:45 minutes. This was not short considering I had already had a hard workout for 45 minutes. But, I did have some fun with my friends. I was dragging a bit for the last two miles and zlionsfan had to push me along.

I traveled the shortest distance of my friends. I think that zlionsfan traveled over 40 miles. Isn't that incredible. I don't think he meant to but it just happened. We had some conversation tonight that involved me getting a new bike (I am seriously lusting after a new one with gears but it isn't in my budget) to make these long distances easier. We even talked about eventually riding a 100 mile marathon in a day. Doesn't that seem impossible...But I now know that it isn't. It would just take some training to work up to that level. Perhaps I need to increase my average speed above 8.5 mph.

Thanks for hanging in there for my biking obsession and consequent blogs relating to the topic.


Stats:

Distance: 15.3
Odometer: 164
Average Speed: 8.7
Max Speed: 13
Time: 1:45

7 comments:

ems said...

Are bikes like cars? Can you trade yours in and have the value go towards a new bike with gears?

Since I've learned how the gears work, that huge hill that's after the bridge on my way home? Yeah, it was TONS easier. Tons.

My average speed was 10.5 after our ride, but I attribute most of that to the "tick sprint."

Anonymous said...

No trading allowed. I will buy that bike if you sell for a good price.

ems said...

Candy, can you write another blog today? I need something cheerful to read.

zlionsfan said...

email from me isn't cheerful? I thought the part about money was.

You did well to ride and work out in the same day ... just remember to be honest with your trainer and let her know if anything feels funny. It's easy to go too fast into a training program at first, especially if you're doing other exercising on the side.

Now that we can do reasonable distances, we probably need to plan things a little better, or at least I do. Riding "a ways" and then turning around can lead to some interesting things ...

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!
You are my hero. I am so envious. I can't stop eating. And it's bad stuff. Cakes. HELP ME!

NE

Nicole said...

Two things that must increase with added physical activity; water and sleep. I know, I know...it's obvious and overstated. So, why do we always seem to leave these necessities out of our lives? I don't have an answer for this, but I do know that you will feel tons better if you get back to basics.

On another note, I really admire your diligence. :)

Candace said...

I like that are bike rides are spontaneous and there are not very many rules. I hate rules!

I agree on the sleep thing but my boss always wants me to come to work.

RSS Subscribe