March 6, 2009

Book Etiquette

I was at book club last week and I though I was going to get kicked out over my treatment of a borrowed book. I was using the 'dog ear' bookmarking system. In my opinion my friends overreacted to the situation.

Let me present the facts and I want to let you be the judge in this case.

Fact #1 – I received the borrowed book after two other book club members had read the book. Fact #2 – I only had the book for seven days.
Fact #3 – I couldn’t find a book mark.
Fact #4 – I turned town the corner of the page to mark my place.
Fact #5 – Dog eared pages are not upsetting to me.
Fact #6 – I turn down pages in my own books as well as borrowed and library books.
Fact #7 – I never ate anything while reading the book.
Fact #8 – The book owner wasn’t entirely aware that I was in possession of the book until she saw me with it at our book club meeting.
Fact #9 – When I opened the book to my marked page during the book club meeting, I immediately heard laud gasps and saw shocked expressions around the sitting area.
Fact #10 – I have been banned from borrowing any future books!

I guess I don’t think what I did was so wrong. I sometimes use a bookmark and sometimes use napkins or random pieces of paper or I even fold the pages down. I don’t find myself to be very organized in this area and I use anything at hand. I like my books but they are only pieces of paper and I guess I don’t covet them or care about bent pages.

Did I deserve this level of censure? Please leave me comments with your answer.

I found the quiz below at this website and the answers in red are mine and the answers in purple are the "correct" answers. I am afraid that I would have failed according to library rules as I got zero right. But I win in my book. How did you do on the quiz?

Library Quiz


1.

What do you do when you have to stop reading your book, but you want to find the right page later?
a. Lay the book open, pages down, on the table or floor
b. Fold down the corner (and what do we call that?)
c. Use a bookmark

2.

How are you supposed to turn the pages so they don't rip?
a. At the bottoms with your thumb
b. Lick your finger then turn the page
c. Lift them at the corner, then turn the page

3.

To carry a book safely, you should
a. Hug it
b. Swing it with your arm
c. Try to balance it on your head
d. Toss it in the air and see how many times you can catch it

4.

Should you eat or drink while you are reading your book?
a. Yes
b. No

5.

If you find a tear in your library book, you should
a. fix it at home with tape or glue.
b. give it back to the librarian and hope she doesn't see it.
c. hide the book and hope everyone will forget it.
d. show it to the librarian so she can fix it with special book tape.

6.

If you want to keep a book longer because you want to read or use it more, you should
a. leave it at home even though it is library day.
b. take it back to the library and renew it.
c. keep it until you finish it.




1 comment:

ems said...

I have dog eared pages in books, but only in my books. I think I would be afraid to do it to someone else's book.

And I, too, have trouble keeping track of bookmarks. I generally use napkins, post-its, envelopes....but in the absence of anything else, I try to remember the book page number before I would dog-ear the book. Sorry I can't support you on this one.

RSS Subscribe