March 9, 2009

Push! Gym

I decided to join a new gym last week. I let my membership at the YMCA lapse in February and I was having an inner debate whether or not I should renew it. I probably would have if NM hadn't introduced me to Push! Fitness. She has a membership there and she encouraged moorewrites and I to take a free two week trial so we could attend a couple classes together. After the first visit I liked it but I still thought that the YMCA was better. Initially, I had a couple negative thoughts about Push:



1. They only have one location

2. The price is a bit high, $50 per month with a one year contract

3. There is no pool

4. The building is small

5. It is not near my house



However, after my second visit I began to notice the positive things:



1. There were NEVER any children at the facility and the YMCA is crawling with children...they are everywhere...please don't judge me for this being in the positive column

2. It was quite and serene

3. It is within five minutes of my work

4. Everyone is super nice and they gym has a very personal touch



Suddenly, the positives were tipping the scales in my head and I decided to join. However, my major objection of the high price was still weighing on my mind. Last year the owner, Jason, came to my work and gave us an exercise demonstration and hinted that if we were to join we would get a discount. When I arrived for my third visit, I asked the desk worker what the discount for my company would be? She didn't know but let me come in and get ready for my Zumba class. When I came back she announced that my employer gets a $39 monthly rate, no joining fee with a one year contract. I was sold! This was just the news I was looking for. I am always driven by price, however, if I really want something I act as if price is no object (this is in reference to me taking exotic trips each year that I probably cannot afford, but I go anyway). I gave them my credit card and I was officially a Push! gym member.

With my membership I get two training sessions with a personal trainer to explain how the weight machines worked and put me on a plan. It also includes a one hour personal training session. Another cool benefit is that the person who recommends you to the gym gets a one hour complimentary massage. Getting these free things was a nice compliment to the membership.

I arrived for my first training session on Thursday evening at 6:15 ready for my new journey. Jason, the owner, was to be my trainer until my actual trainer was ready for me. He greeted me and I chatted with him a few minutes. He mentioned that he remembered me from my employer and he was happy that I decided to join. He is a very affectionate person because he stood next to me and put his arm around my shoulders and was completely touching me. I am not used to such physical affection from strangers and it weirded me out.

The first step in my training was to get fitted with a heart rate monitor. Jason got one out and indicated that we should head to the locker room. I was confused. Was he really going to come into the ladies locker room and help me into the heart strap that goes around my middle just below my bra strap? That would have been very intimate for a strange man! I lucked out because just then my regular (female) trainer came and took over. It would have made me extremely uncomfortable to have him assist me in the locker room. As it was, I had the lady trainer help me and it made me only slightly uncomfortable. I am usually comfortable changing in the locker room in front of others but the touching is weird. As we were finishing up a lady walked into the locker room and began talking to my trainer. She asked me if I was new and after I affirmed, she began to gush and say how much she LOVED it at Push and how much I would love it also. Then she walked over to me and gave me a great big hug. Was I putting off pheromone's that I was in need of hugs? Two unsolicited hugs in one day was a bit unsettling.

After the locker room debacle I was lead over to a treadmill that is located off in the corner. She asked me to lie on the floor for five minuets to get my true resting heart rate. So there I lay on the floor...it felt like I was in the middle of the gym for everyone to ogle. I cannot believe that they got a real resting heart rate as I was extremely uncomfortable lying on the floor. When I was done she had me get up and get on the treadmill and she wanted to see how long it would take to get me up to my target heart rate. I assure you it didn't take long.

She had me on for about ten minutes and determined that I should be walking at a 2.9 rate at a 3% incline. The pace is good but walking up the hills is NOT fun. While I was walking she began asking me questions on my fitness goals. Somehow the question always makes me clam up. I think to myself...duh I am fat and I no longer want to be....why do they always ask me these questions. I just don't understand it. I gave her some lame thing about wanting to have accountability to come to the gym more often. I wish I was able to express myself better in this situation. I guess this is another thing I have to work on.

After I finished my ten minutes on the treadmill she had me lie on the floor again to see how long it would take for my heart rate to normalize. Apparently, it took too long and she told me and then she told Jason. I guess that was the indication that I was out of shape! DUH!

After the treadmill she took me to five different weight machines to get me set up with the proper settings and weights. While we were on the leg press I told her the weight was good enough, but of course she could see it in my face that I wasn't working hard enough and she had me add more and more weight. Before long I was up to 170 lbs, I guess my legs are super strong. I was OK with this exercise until she wanted me to just hold the weight up. That HURT! I guess that is the purpose.

My entire upper body was in pain the all day Friday and Saturday. I wasn't used to the weight training and my shoulders and chest area were bothering me. I know it will get better the more my body gets used to it.

Next Tuesday will be my second orientation day. I hope it goes well. I just have to learn to LIKE the gym. My first goal will to go three times a week. Currently, I am on a once a week plan.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe