March 4, 2009

Flirting

Isn't it funny when you learn something new about yourself and your personality?

Recently it has been pointed out to me that I have been flirting with some boy’s unconsciously. I had no idea that I was doing this and it was a weird concept to me.

Last week at work we had our financial auditors in the office and I was working with them daily to resolve various issues. On Thursday afternoon I was standing near the copier talking to one of them for about five minutes. As I turned around to walk back to my desk I hear psssst….pssssst…..psssst, from behind me. I thought to myself, what is that noise? It was J from work and he was motioning me to come to his desk. When I was there he called me out! He said, “Why were you flirting with the auditor?”. I denied the accusation. He said that I was doing the following actions: moving my head to the side while I was talking, talking in a overly sweet voice, and moving my foot around in circles. It began to dawn on me that he was on to something, and my face got flaming red and I quickly walked away. For the rest of the day and Friday he took great delight in telling everyone about my escapade and embarrassing me.

I was caught again on Friday but this time I was much more aware of my actions. I had no idea that I did this with people until it was pointed out. I have to wonder how long this has been going on? It is interesting to me that I could have this whole side to my personality and be unaware of it. I like to think that I am usually a self aware person and I can see myself as I am, and not as I want to be seen.

So can this flirting be confused with my natural friendly and extroverted behavior? On Saturday night I was in Bed Bath and Beyond with C and I was talking to the cashier as we checked out. Buy the time I departed I knew all about her wedding in December and I had given her advice on a dilemma she was having. When we were back in the car C asked me if the cashier was one of my friends, and I said no she was a stranger. C was flabbergasted, because I was having such an intense conversation with this person.

So do I flirt or am I just very friendly?

No comments:

RSS Subscribe